Pizza stone as stovetop heat spreader

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstock

Reaction score
Has anyone used a cheap pizza stone as a heat spreader to prevent the boil from sticking and burning in a stockpot on the stove?
Could there be a problem in doing this?

I wouldn't do it, I reckon you'd crack it. You can buy these things from $2 dollar shops.

I wouldn't do it either. There are a stack of differed heat dispersers available both cheap and expensive. Mine was 10 clams and is still going strong after many years of use.

JD

superstock said:
Has anyone used a cheap pizza stone as a heat spreader to prevent the boil from sticking and burning in a stockpot on the stove?
Could there be a problem in doing this?
One thing you might have to watch out for is the effect the residual heat stored in the pizza stone has on your ability to control the boil.

For example, if you notice that the wort is rising up and approaching a boil over, turning down the power will not have an immediate effect on reducing the boil. There would be a time lag between reducing power and the boil subsiding while the stored heat in the stone is transferred into the wort. So you would need to be on your toes, but probably less of an issue if you have a big pot with sufficient head space.

Pizza stones are supposed to heated slowly from ambient in the oven.
I am sure it would shatter if put directly onto heat.

I had the feeling that even though it's on an electric range, cracking may be a problem.
Thanks for the replies.

Back