Pitching the yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loot

Reaction score
HI all,

I am sure this has been covered before but I cant find anything specific.

When pitching the yeast to the wort I try to have the wort temp as close to the desired temp as possible depending on the yeast.

My understanding is that if the wort is too high the yeast may be killed. My question is can the yeast be harmed if the wort temp is too low, say 15 degrees? Is it better to have the wort at a lower temprature and then allow the temp to come up to the desired temp as opposed to trying to get it at the desired temprature straight away and possibly pitching the yeast above the desired temp.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Low temp should be fine. Yeast is generally stored in the fridge anyway, isn't it? Just make sure the temp comes up in a timely fashion in case something else gets a window of opportunity to out compete the yeast

Per white labs, it's beat to pitch at room temp and then lower the temp of the wort to ferment temps

Personally, for liquid yeasts and dry ale yeasts I follow that advice. For dried lager yeasts I rehydrate at room temp then lower the temp of the rehydrated yeast to closer to ferment temp over a few hours, then pitch. Just seems to give me better results, ymmv

Back