Pitching Dry Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fester

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums.

Just bought a ESB 3kg brew kit and on the back it says that yeast should be sprinkled into the wort and NOT stirred at all. It comes with a Safale yeast if it has any bearing.

I always make sure that the wort gets a good aeration before pitching and then give it a good stir after pitching the yeast.

Is there a reason why ESB would recommend the above? Bit confused now...

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums Fester, dry yeast will be fine if you just sprinlke it on top, I haven't stirred in a yeast in years and all has been good, they'll find the sugaz either way. Good that you airate well which is an important step. Proofing the yeast in cool boiled water is also a good idea but to be honest I've never bothered and had no I'll affects, I reckon you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a dry yeast that doesn't fire.

Welcome to the forums Fester, dry yeast will be fine if you just sprinlke it on top, I haven't stirred in a yeast in years and all has been good, they'll find the sugaz either way. Good that you airate well which is an important step. Proofing the yeast in cool boiled water is also a good idea but to be honest I've never bothered and had no I'll affects, I reckon you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a dry yeast that doesn't fire.

Still a newbie but I understand that it does depend on the beer style / yeast & proposed fermentation temp.

I picked up the ESB Bock yesterday and the LHB supplied W34/70 with it (dry yeast). As I understand the bock needs to be at a 12C fermentation temp and at that temp it is better to do a yeast starter. Also read that the Bock is quite a high gravity beer and it is better to have the extra yeasties to get through it.

Never done a starter before so trying that today.

A word of warning about sprinkling it on top, i used to add water in such a way as the wort would get a decent foam head on it, sometimes this head can last a day or two, if you sprinkle the yeast on the foam head and the yeast was sitting on top of the head and not getting to the wort.
I started to rehydrate yeast to bypass this problem and increase cell count, but it's good enough to part the froth enough to sprinkle the yeast into the liquid.

These days thanks to AG/NC I simply pop the pack of dry in as the cube is draining into the fermenter, this results in the yeast being well mixed through the quite aerated wort...

For a kit style beer, I would simply pour the pack in while topping up the fermenter with water.

These days thanks to AG/NC I simply pop the pack of dry in as the cube is draining into the fermenter, this results in the yeast being well mixed through the quite aerated wort...

For a kit style beer, I would simply pour the pack in while topping up the fermenter with water.

You would add enough water first to get the temp down right?

Yes, good point there.....At least make sure the temp was below 25.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, I'll try the sprinkle method on my next brew and see what the results are like.

Cheers.

It's ideal to just sprinkle so the yeast sits on top of the liquid to rehydrate. Should you stir them in too deep before they fully rehydrate, hydrostatic pressure can cause some damage to the yeast.

I prefer to make a small starter for the yeast, even if it just proves that it isn't dead (happens sometimes). A glass of your wort or even just a spoon of malt extract in a glass of water works a treat. I use 300ml conical flasks I got on the cheap and the work nicely.

I'd say that even a small starter gets you off to a faster start and more vigorous fermentation.

CHeers - boingk

Latest posts

Back