Pirate life iipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Just bought a tin of pirate life iipa and wowza. I'm in love. So much that I felt compelled to post about it. If you see it definitely give it a go. I'm no beer judge but it is one delicious drop. B

Pic

1436593269996.jpg

There pale ale is nice too. Two brewers that became mates whilst working at brewdog, was always going to be good.

Jus' had the IIPA.

Very nice mandarin, resiny hop aroma/flavour from Mosaic, Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial.

I liked the brewing process steps around the rim of the can too, interesting packaging.

+ 1 for the IIPA

They also do a session IPA at something like 3.5% and 35 IBU. Interesting niche to fill, I'll be on the hunt for another couple of sixers in summer for driving type occasions.

Their cans are also really cool in that they have the ingredients (hop and malt types) for each beer on the top rim.

stakka82 said:
+ 1 for the IIPA

They also do a session IPA at something like 3.5% and 35 IBU. Interesting niche to fill, I'll be on the hunt for another couple of sixers in summer for driving type occasions.
I'm not sure I agree with these session IPAs. They're really just pales under a layer of marketing spin, trying to set themselves apart from the other million pale ales on the market.

I can't blame breweries for trying to carve out niches for themselves in an increasingly competitive market though, either.

I'm torn.

Just been to the Adelaide Beer and BBQ event and this was the highlight beer for me. Went to the Gilbert Street Hotel for lunch the day after (today) where they had the Pale Ale on tap. This is the new favourite of the wife, whilst I had another 2 cans of IIPA there. IMO, probably up there in the top 5 of IPAs in general. Up there with Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Ballast Point and probably best Aussie IPA I've come across.

As a by note, went to the Lady Burra Brewpub first, wanting to support the local craft brewer here in Adelaide. Can only say that I was disappointed by lack of flavour and reliance on malt driven ales - even their socalled APA. Especially compared to some of the excellent beers at the craft beer event.

Highly recommend Adelaide Beer and BBQ event for next year. Hope they don't change too much as it was great the way it was.
Cheers,
Elz

Must have been bloody cold given the weather ?
I am in Adelaide ATM but circumstances didn't allow the time to get there,maybe next year.

Danwood said:
I'm not sure I agree with these session IPAs. They're really just pales under a layer of marketing spin, trying to set themselves apart from the other million pale ales on the market.
I can't blame breweries for trying to carve out niches for themselves in an increasingly competitive market though, either.
I'm torn.
I felt the same about black IPAs. But eventually I gave in and tried a few. Found a few good ones so I'm all for it haha.

Elz said:
Just been to the Adelaide Beer and BBQ event and this was the highlight beer for me. Went to the Gilbert Street Hotel for lunch the day after (today) where they had the Pale Ale on tap. This is the new favourite of the wife, whilst I had another 2 cans of IIPA there. IMO, probably up there in the top 5 of IPAs in general. Up there with Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Ballast Point and probably best Aussie IPA I've come across.

As a by note, went to the Lady Burra Brewpub first, wanting to support the local craft brewer here in Adelaide. Can only say that I was disappointed by lack of flavour and reliance on malt driven ales - even their socalled APA. Especially compared to some of the excellent beers at the craft beer event.

Highly recommend Adelaide Beer and BBQ event for next year. Hope they don't change too much as it was great the way it was.
Cheers,
Elz
Yep, the Beer festival was a ripper. The Pirate Life guys were good as were Smiling Samoyed. Prancing Pony is still killing it for mine. Their Red Ale is sensational. Also tried a couple of good saisons which was nice as they are very difficult to track down in bottle shops here.

Was a top event for rAdelaide,

Pirate throwback is a cracking midstrength. But I agree, hate the marketing of it called a ipa.

Pony red is in my top 5 aussie beers.

Have to say pirate is not making a bad beer for me now. They were a little green on their launch day but later batches have all been great

Anyone got an AG recipe for this fantastic IIPA?

The ingredients are listed on the rim of the can (though obviously not the quantities):
- Marris Otter
- Carapils
- Wheat
- Centenial
- Columbus
- Mosaic
- Simcoe

I agree that the IIPA is excellent. One of my favourite beers for sure. Their APA is also excellent. I wasn't the greatest fan of their Throwback IPA. It had great aroma but I found the flavour a little waterish and too bitter. Much prefer the Colonial Small Ale and Brewdog Dead Pony Club.

Reedy said:
Anyone got an AG recipe for this fantastic IIPA?

The ingredients are listed on the rim of the can (though obviously not the quantities):
- Marris Otter
- Carapils
- Wheat
- Centenial
- Columbus
- Mosaic
- Simcoe
Off the top of my head I'm thinking something like:
85% MO
5% Carapils
10% Wheat
~1085SG

60 min boil.
Not sure if they use ISO or extracts for bittering; that's possible so use some Magnum at 60 to bitter a little (40IBU?)
Load up the whirlpool to make up to ~80IBU total and load up the dry hop (double?) - go 25% each hop at each step and see how it turns out.

I love the shit out of this beer, but it IS a little sweet for me IMO, due to using that quantity of MO. Plus they're local to me (I drive past the brewery often) so I will be attempting a Pliny clone over this.

Not IIPA but had a can of the IPA last night ....nice very fargin nice,up there with Goodiesons no doubt .

I love the shit out of this beer, but it IS a little sweet for me IMO, due to using that quantity of MO. Plus they're local to me (I drive past the brewery often) so I will be attempting a Pliny clone over this.[/quote]

Would love to get my hands on a Pliny the Elder recipe

Latest posts

Back