Pin Lock V Ball Lock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordofthebottleshop

Reaction score
SO after a couple of years of stategically leaving bottles around the kitchen, the missus has finally given me permission to start kegging :D . I've been looking around, and I'm a little confused as to the difference between ball lock and pin lock kegs. Would anybody happen to know if there is any major difference, or does anybody have a preference of one over the other?

Any other advice on what to look for?

SO after a couple of years of stategically leaving bottles around the kitchen, the missus has finally given me permission to start kegging :D . I've been looking around, and I'm a little confused as to the difference between ball lock and pin lock kegs. Would anybody happen to know if there is any major difference, or does anybody have a preference of one over the other?

idk which is "better" but ball lock is far more widely available in Australia.
9/10 ads are for ball lock kegs and fittings.
less than 1/10 are for pin lock.

Sometimes pin-lock kegs are slightly cheaper than ball-lock.

However, if you find in the future you have Beta when everyone else has VHS you'll be kicking yourself.

Pretty much everyone over here uses ball lock, so for ease of interchangeability/ease of purchasing of kegs etc ball lock wins. I've picked up a few pin lock kegs cheaply and they are fine but it's nice having everything standardised.

Ball Lock lids are more likely to have a pressure release valve compared to the pin lock ones.

I started off on ball lock as pin wasn't around AFAIK. just starting back into HB and building a better collection of kegs and other paraphernalia is telling me I should of looked at pin lock. The cheap plastic ball lock connections are easy to confuse from liquid and gas only made that mistake once.

The down side to pin lock for me is I don't know anyone with pin connections so keg swapping or visiting is not an option for me thats why I stuck with ball lock.

i reckon as long as you're going to be self contained, ie not taking kegs to hook up at mates houses or keg swaps etc... pin lock will be fine...

my only issue with them is that all the disconnects seem to be barb fitting and i started on all barb fittings (ball lock) but have now changed to threaded fittings on the disconnects so i could use John Guest fittings....

my other concern with pin locks is sourcing more down the track if you want more kegs...

having said all this, if i was setting up right now, with the info i've learnt over my brief but expensive (don't tell SWMBO) kegging time i'd look at these...

http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?mai...ex&cPath=11

i'd buy one of their keg kits with reg/tap and 2 kegs and an extra 4 kegs... as i reckon 6 kegs is an ok number to manage some decent lagering/aging times and maintain a keg on the go all the time...

these are good prices (no affiliation) i'm just waiting for their next batch of ball locks as the rest of my setup is ball locks...

my 3 cents.

good luck and good work on 'getting' SWMBO permision!

I used ball locks for years then swapped to pin lock.
Far superior, better connection and no post stuff up.
I recently bought from mybeershop.com.au and have nothing but praise, overnight from Melbourne to Canberra right on Christmas..brilliant, and that was just with a receipt for payment from my bank, great people, yes will buy from them again.

K

Ball Lock Advantages:

-More common
-All have pressure release valves, apparently some pin locks don't

Pin Lock Advantages:

-Tend to be a bit cheaper
-You never confuse the posts

First post - awesome looking forum, I am about to start my kegging journey, so stoked to have found this place :D

Time to buy my first set of kegs. The ball lock kegs look simpler to release the pressure when cleaning etc - any truth to that?

How do you release the pressure from a pin lock? Are there some pin locks that don't even have one?

Pinlocks are wider and shorter so more easily placed into a fridge/freezer.

I have two ball lock kegs without pressure release so that must be a furfie. Pressure releases are most common in the lid, no?
GF

(EDIT: I have 15 pinlocks and love them. Nothing worse than ramming a beer out connector onto a gas in connection as can happen with ball locks)

I went to pin locks for my 19L kegs and ball locks for my 9 L kegs ...... while ball locks are more popular I fine that pin locks are easier to fit onto the posts compared to ball locks. Pin locks have a mechanical interlock and seal ... and the id issues between gas in and beer out as mentioned before ...... pin locks are cool

5 eyes

How do you let the pressure out of a pin lock? Is there a way using the post that the line connects to or something?

How do you let the pressure out of a pin lock? Is there a way using the post that the line connects to or something?

I don't own any pin locks so I'm only spouting this having read it somewhere before. You can bleed/burp off the pressure by manually pressing down the gas post (without any disconnects fitted).

But I've also seen that you can fit the "newer" lids to the pin lock kegs that have a ring-pull pressure release valve fitted to them.

I got this info from talking to the guys over at the mybeershop website. They seem to have started the use/discussion of pin locks recently.

Listening to some of the US brewing podcasts a lot of guys over there are finding the pin lock stuff cheaper and easier to get. Don't know how that will translate to us over here is Aus.

Benniee

I ended up going for 4 Pin Lock kegs - they gave me free ring pull pressure relief lids for buying a heap of stuff. :)

What do you guys remove the posts with on a Pin Lock - I assume the pins get in the way of a ring spanner?

Edit - looked online and these guys are making their own tool - I guess some sort of a spark plug spanner with notches cut with an angle grinder will do the job....

Ok thanks. Glad I went with the advice on the Pin Locks - I like the way that you can't put the wrong post on.

Is it standard to put the 'one way CO2 valve' on the gas lines with pin locks? Never thought to get those.

I heard Ball Lock kegs are Pepsi and Royal Crown, and Pin Lock kegs are Coca Cola.

Dunno if that's true. Anyone got a Ball Lock with Coke on it?

That's the way I understood it too - my Pin Locks have the Coca-Cola logo on the black handles up the top.

Ok thanks. Glad I went with the advice on the Pin Locks - I like the way that you can't put the wrong post on.

Is it standard to put the 'one way CO2 valve' on the gas lines with pin locks? Never thought to get those.

I would say getting a non return valve is pretty much a necessity for the one time you do something daft like having more pressure in the keg than in the gasline and you get beer flow into the reg. For $6.00 it is good insurance.

P.S. I read up on kegs and Coca-Cola use pinlocks Pepsi the taste of a new generation use Ball Locks not sure about other Soft drink companies.

Back