• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Pimp your honey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
It's mid-October, it's warm, there are flowers everywhere - and bees. We're coming into peak honey season. Anyone know of any good honey deals? Are any beekeeping brewers reading this with some good bulk deals they can offer the rest of us?

Pimp your honey here!

(Thread started basically because our bees need to do some building up after a rather bad winter/autumn - wasps, mice, you name it - and I don't have any extra honey myself....)

I am following. Danwood may pipe up, he had/has some deals going.

Addendum: it's worth noting a bit about your methods here.

Specifically, the Baron and I tend to remove our honey from comb with the old crush'n'strain method. When you do this you end up with small, honey-dense lumps of wax which we break up and soak in water overnight. That way we remove the rest of he honey and get the base for a moderate-to-strong mead without adding any of the other honey.

So crush-and-strain beekeepers have a very simple way of getting honey for a brew even before they open a single jar of honey.

How much you after? My boss has about 60lts at the moment. I'll be extracting my hives soon so should get a about the same. Maybe more.
Let us know if anyone wants some.

I will get my hands on about 40-70L soon...for my mead experiments....SWEEEET !! My friend may be interested giving people on here a discounted price.. We will rob several hives in early November for a friend and then quite a few after that... stay tuned and Ill ask him. Loving the one on my roof!

12077457_10153358576918218_996790063_n.jpg

Nah all good.. protected by summer heat by the small tree

LMAO good luck.. there goes your house !

This is great - on facebook I just got a link from Henry Laas of Himmel Brewing saying they have a project where they can hook up hives with people who want to adopt a hive - or just help them get honey. The group's FarmingFolk Bees.

My brew club Merri Mashers have a honey-brewing meeting in a week and a bit. Please keep the suggestions coming, I'll keep everyone there updated and maybe there'll be some interest in a club bulk buy after our meeting.

A mate of mine has a huge honey farm up near Inverell , he just posted a pic yesterday of an ICB full of honey
Should see if he'll sell us a bulk lot for cheap

I've been thinking of starting an apiary thread for a while, TimT.

I know there's a few brewers here who are interested in bees generally, not necessarily just from a brewing stand point.

I might fire one up today, so this one can stay a purely honey trading sort of thread.

The other one would be for Q&A, bragging pics, advice on upcoming flowering periods and the like.

And for anyone who missed it, here is my thread for 3kg buckets of Mildura honey. Orange Blossom (Orange Gold) and Red Gum/Black Box (River Gold) for $30 each (just about to amend the thread)
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/86678-bulk-honey-buy-eoi-east-melbourne/

Cheers all,
Dan

I'm going to run all offers past club members tomorrow night at the club meeting, hopefully there'll be some interest.

Sorry...8pm tonight, ABC. Australian Story on the invention of the 'Flow Hive'.

Back