Pimp My Stout Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PryorBrewing

Reaction score
Since buying my first apartment (1 bed room) my space to brew has seriously been dented, kegerator only just fitted on the balcony. Luck would have it, I have been able to brew at work after hours, but have had to go back to kits to supply my beer.
Had never tried the coopers stout kit before but had heard good reviews. Opened one last night while watching Orgin, awesome game but the way! Redemption at last..... Sorry off topic. Anyway the kit produced an awesome stout, far out weighed my exspections im sure will get better with age.

Anyway i thought i would share the brew to all the kit brewers out there.

Coopers Winter Warmer Oatmeal Stout

Malts-
Coopers Stout can
1 kg DME

Grains-
200g Dark malt
250g Toasted quick oats (roasted in oven at 180 for 25 mins)
150g Crystal malt

Sugars-
120g Brown sugar

Hops-
25g Fuggles @ 15

Yeast- Windsor

* Steep grains @ 69 for 30 mins
* Strain and bring to boil with DME and brown sugar
* Add hops @ 15 and add stout can at end of boil
* Cool and pitch yeast
* ferment at 18

Bottle condition for 1 month before drinking, will get better with age.

Enjoy...........

Sounds good! Did you make it up to 23 litres? Do you know the OG and FG? :icon_cheers:

That sounds like a great simple recipe.
Perfect time for a stout too.

Don't despair about having to make kits at work. Better than having empty bottles and nothing to drink.
You can make quite decent beer by pimping a good high quality kit.

While I can brew at home, my effrots to rebuild a kitchen mean no grain brewing,
so at present I'm limited to extract plus brewing without using grain. I see you added a small amount of grain
so good luck to you. I usually now brew while I'm minding the children, that way i don't get into
too much trouble.

Sounds like a nice drop mate, how'd you go with the toasted oats btw, did it cause much of a haze in your beer? I would have thought a steep woulnt be enough and would have probably mashed with grain in any other recipie. I can relate to being limited by space and it sounds as though you're still sticking to good brewing in slightly difficult circumstances so good on ya. I can see how mashing doest fit into the ease of this beer, just curious if you had any problems?

Sounds like a nice drop mate, how'd you go with the toasted oats btw, did it cause much of a haze in your beer? I would have thought a steep woulnt be enough and would have probably mashed with grain in any other recipie. I can relate to being limited by space and it sounds as though you're still sticking to good brewing in slightly difficult circumstances so good on ya. I can see how mashing doest fit into the ease of this beer, just curious if you had any problems?

Yeh no haze effect, Love the toasted oats it adds the a great consistency to the beer and great for head retention. I am lucky with brewing at work in the fact that I'm a chef and i can use a commerical kitchen and all the utensils in it. With a commerical dishwasher to clean everything up afterwards. Just wish i had bought a unit with a garage then i could of turned it into a brewing cave.

Latest posts

Back