Pimp a Coopers Ginger Beer Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nullnvoid said:
I made this and it's bottled and almost ready to drink.

It took a month to ferment out but I'm putting that down to 2.5kg of sugar. It's also very sweet. Not sure it will be my favourite but it is still nice from what I have tasted.
Any idea what your gravity reading were and alcohol percentage. I was thinking 2.5kg of sugar would equal rocket fuel.

Brados Brew said:
Any idea what your gravity reading were and alcohol percentage. I was thinking 2.5kg of sugar would equal rocket fuel.

Yeah sure do. OG was 1.052 and FG was 1004. That gives me a result of 6.49%

It took 30 days before I was happy enough to bottle and it went crazy fermentation, Tried to bubble up through the airlock. It was intense.

Thanks mate. I have a beer to bottle tonight and will put the gb down hopefully tomorrow and see how it goes.

Not a problem. If I make it again, I'm going to reduce the amount of sugar. It's nice, but too sweet for my liking. I think it had cut out some of the ginger flavour.

But goodluck, let us know how you go.

Nullnvoid said:
Not a problem. If I make it again, I'm going to reduce the amount of sugar. It's nice, but too sweet for my liking. I think it had cut out some of the ginger flavour.

But goodluck, let us know how you go.
That sweetness is probably the artificial sweetener in the coopers kit. Nothing you do will get rid of it. You would need to find a kit with no artificial sweetener or a kit where the sweetener is in its own sachet and not add it.

I too just did a Coopers GB can and kept to the coopers recipe. The result was very much a GB lacking real ginger flavour (like I remember as a kid), though has a nice burn at the end. The only way to give it the right taste is to put a teaspoon of the Buderim Ginger cordial in a glass then top up with the Coopers GB, which makes quite a good drink.

A question to you good folk....I was thinking about buying some ginger powder (ground ginger) from the local Asian grocer and throwing that in with the Coopers kit. Was thinking I'd try 500grams to start. I would stir it in some warm/hot water and disolve and then toss into the main Coopers can mix.

Just trying to find a really simple recipe.

Cheers,
Pete

ginger-beer-oct-2014 (Medium).jpg

All, after boiling the fresh ginger, lemon zest/juice and cinnamon, should I just chuck it all in the fermenter and let it sit in there until fermentation is complete?

I threw everything in the fermenter and will most likely rack it to a second fermenter before bottling so I can run it through a hop sock to get some of the sediment out. I think you want a few floaties in there for nostalgic reasons

Scottsrx said:
I threw everything in the fermenter and will most likely rack it to a second fermenter before bottling so I can run it through a hop sock to get some of the sediment out. I think you want a few floaties in there for nostalgic reasons
I've made a nice GB with a mildly pimped coopers gb kit as a keg filler. Awesome afterburn, good mouthfeel/flavour/foaminess, couldn't really taste the sweetener. Tastes like an alcoholic version of bundy gb but with more bite and body. Everyone, even the non beer drinkers loved it. I didn't admit it was a kit ;)

Tis simple

1 can coopers gb
500g light dme
500g demera sugar

Boil up the demera and DME in a couple of L of water then add to fermenter with the kit. Use some boiled water to get the rest of the kit out.

Make up to 20L then ferment at 18C for a few weeks. Keg and carbonate to medium/high carbonation.

So successful it was I decided to made a 60L batch a month later ;)

image.jpg (stooped iphone upload is upside down :( )

What alternative kits give a much drier finish..?

The Coopers is simply far too artificially sweet for my liking.
Mixing it 50:50 with my dry cider is a great drink though

Im looking for a good ginger beer receipe to first try out....dont mind if its a kit to start off

I made a reasonable one from scratch with fresh ginger, but it's very expensive.

I'm looking at doing a Coopers GB kit. Might add a bit of fresh ginger etc. When it comes time to bottle, is it safe to use glass stubbies, or should I get some PET bottles?
Cheers,
Andrew.

Back