Pilsner Urquell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi007

Reaction score
Hi

I have just started brewing a Brewcraft pilsner urquell with the w34/70 saflager yeast and added a bit of honey to it.

I wanted to know what would be the best fermenting temp for this type of brew.

It is currently sitting at around 18-20 degrees and seems to be fermenting ok. Not bubbling but readings are going down.

Regards

Hendrik

34/70 is a lager yeast, you should have had the wort around 10 degrees when you out the yeast in, you need to drop the temp, then towards the end you probably will need to do a d-rest.

How longs it been in the fermenter? You should drope it down to at least 15c if you can if not lower as stated above. Why did you add the honey? did the pack recomend it?

Here is a pic of the pilsner urquel I brewed a while ago... beautiful fluffy head just like in cz!

The funny bit is that it accidentally fermented over one night (mostly) at 22c . Read my first post if you are interested.

222805_1516629015816_1837223549_958112_1255639_n.jpg

34/70 is a lager yeast, you should have had the wort around 10 degrees when you out the yeast in, you need to drop the temp, then towards the end you probably will need to do a d-rest.

Hi What is a d-rest?

Diacetyl rest

Raise the temperature of the brew up to around 18-20 degrees which activates the yeast into consuming a product known as diacetyl. Diacetyl is described as having a butterscoth or buttered popcorn flavour.

This is done toward the end or at the end of fermentation, particularly with lagers. It can also be done with some ales, particularly if you pitch warm then let the temp drop during fermentation.

Nice looking Pilsner Zipster.

What would be a recommended yeast for a pilsner?

I've brewed a few ales but never a pilsner so hopefully it will turn out ok.

I put the yeast in when the temp was 25-28 and brought the temp to 18 at the time. I didn't notice any bubbling but the reading has gone from 1.041 to 1.020 at the moment.

It's been fermenting for about 7 days so far.

The honey was my idea. Don't ask me why :)

Wyeast 2001 - Urquell :)

W34/70 @ 10C does a good job.

BribiegG has had good result with S189 at 15C.

Hi

I have recently bottled my Pilsner beer into glass bottles.

The beer tasted alright from the fermenter and the reading was stable for more than 3 days.

It has been almost two weeks and i decided to try a beer. It was pretty much flat with hardly any fizz and no head.

Is there any reason why it may be flat?

I haven't had a problem before with flat beer. I would normally leave the bottles for around 4 weeks.

They are also in a box in a garage which gets down to about 10-12 deg C at night at the moment. I have normally left bottles in a room with a temp of 20 deg or higher.

Could this be the reason it is flat , being too cold?

Back