Pilsner Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warrenlw63 said:
Gough said:
The plot thickens...

Shawn.
[post="106840"][/post]​

As does the protein haze. :lol: ;)

Warren -
[post="106844"][/post]​

Bloody protien haze, don't tell me about it - just adding polyclar to my Ruination IPA as we speak - Should be on tap by this evening :)

Just to let you in on the gag Ross.

It's pertaining to a Belgian Blonde Ale I'm drinking at the moment. I've a sneaking suspicion I may have accidentally been given BoPils instead of regular Pils.

Beer was single infusion mashed and it's as cloudy as buggery! :blink: Never seen one like it in 9 years. <_<

What was the offending malt in yours Ross? :unsure:

Warren -

DSC00962.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

warrenlw63 said:
Gough said:
The plot thickens...

Shawn.
[post="106840"][/post]​

Warren -
[post="106844"][/post]​

Photograph was taken straight after the beer was kegged and gassed. The haze dropped out in no time flat.
Here is a photograph of the other brewers beer made from the same 'contaminated' malt. His was a Tripel made from 100% Weyermann Pilsner Malt and a small amount of light candy sugar. You can see why he was not happy!

Triple_Beer.jpg

Warren,

How much haze do you see in the picture I posted.
That was single infusion mashed just like yours.

Pete

warrenlw63 said:
Beer was single infusion mashed and it's as cloudy as buggery! :blink: Never seen one like it in 9 years. <_<

Warren -
[post="106850"][/post]​

Mine was/is Bairds MO - In last 3 bags gone from mud, to clear, to similar to your pic. Other brewers having exactly same results from same grain sacks. Just about to brew with a 4th sack - so fingers crossed...
Polyclar clears it though real quick though - Add for 10 mins/ filter drink...

Peter Wadey said:
Warren,

Pete
[post="106854"][/post]​

I was really impressed with the look of your beer in the pic given my experience with the Bo Pils malt Peter. I single infusion mashed with it (despite being told I should use a protein rest, but that's another story...) and it was very cloudy. I've used bags of JW Pils malt and standard Weyermann Pils malt with no such haze related problems. I've had mixed results much like Ross is reporting with Baird's Maris Otter. JW Pils, JW Ale, JW Light Munich, Weyermann Munich Type I, Weyermann Pils all no haze problems when I've used them as base malts. Weyermann Bo Pils without a rest stayed hazy even after a decent lagering period. I'd love to have had the result you did with that malt. Well brewed :)
Hopefully I will next time, but I'm definitely planning on using a rest with the Bo Pils malt though.

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:
Just to let you in on the gag Ross.

It's pertaining to a Belgian Blonde Ale I'm drinking at the moment. I've a sneaking suspicion I may have accidentally been given BoPils instead of regular Pils.

Warren -
[post="106850"][/post]​

Warren, I've used three bags of Bohemian Pilsner Malt now. I have been using a single infusion mash with all brews with a great deal of success, However, I have been mashing for 120 minutes otherwise too much protein is carried over into the boil.

Peter Wadey said:
Warren,

Pete
[post="106854"][/post]​

Peter,

As much as I admire your clear beer, only stating my unusual findings. :) Generally my beers come out pretty much like the one in your picture. My conspiracy theory is I got BoPils instead of the regular Pils I ordered. My grains are purchased and crushed by the LHBS.

My numerous previous experiences with Weyermann and Hoepfner pils malts is a crystal clear beer within weeks. :)

A lot of what we do is in the lap of the gods (or malsters) to a lesser extent.

Warren -

Warren, I've used three bags of Bohemian Pilsner Malt now. I have been using a single infusion mash with all brews with a great deal of success, However, I have been mashing for 120 minutes otherwise too much protein is carried over into the boil.

Maybe that was my problem - my single infusion mash was 90 minutes not 120. Thanks for the tip,

Shawn.

Peter Wadey said:
Warren,

Pete
[post="106854"][/post]​

Hey Pete,
How long did you mash for??

Lindsay Dive said:
warrenlw63 said:
Gough said:
The plot thickens...

Shawn.
[post="106840"][/post]​

Warren -
[post="106844"][/post]​

Photograph was taken straight after the beer was kegged and gassed. The haze dropped out in no time flat.
Here is a photograph of the other brewers beer made from the same 'contaminated' malt. His was a Tripel made from 100% Weyermann Pilsner Malt and a small amount of light candy sugar. You can see why he was not happy!
[post="106852"][/post]​

That does look similar. Pete's beer though was sort of what I was expecting (hoping) but two in a row came out looking like this, from the same bag of malt, prompting the post. Will try another this weekend with a different sack.

Duff,
Just a suggestion.
When you start on that new bag of JW Pils with your own mill, perhaps try an experimental mini-mash in the kitchen first, just to see if you get the colour you expect.

Lindsay,
90 minutes mate. I think that was before you suggested the 2 hr rest last beer we had - can't remember. I just let time and gravity work on this batch in the keg.

Rgds,
Pete

Interesting thread, have picked up a few tips, thanks guys.
I don't have the same colour problem with JW pils, but have same haze problem, did a 120min single infusion so, dunno.

Comments about contaminated grain could be spot on, I have a bag of JW wheat malt here thats probably 5-10% barley! Tho culprit may have been the LHBS that repackaged. :blink: Might have to ask them about that.

Duff,

My local hbs has given the wrong grain out on more than one occaision, so I wouldn't rule it out - It's the most likely explanation IMO.
I always prepare my own grain now - just to make sure...

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back