Pilsener Kit And Ale Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve said:
Fingerlickin - I did the ESB Czech Pilsener about a month ago with Safale SO4 in an ice bath which kept temps at 20 deg. Its great! Its part of an experiment I did. I did the exact same brew straight after it with Saflager in the fridge at 10 deg, diacetyl rest, cold conditioned etc etc for 3 weeks. Just want to see the difference.
Cheers
Steve
[post="92633"][/post]​
You will find that the difference in these beers will astound you!

Thanks Steve, I'll give the SO4 a shot :)

However, it is unlikely that I'll be able to get the temp lower than about 22.

PZ.

Starting this beer tonight or tomorrow.

What about K-97 as another option?

PZ.

I live in sydney and can keep my ales at 18-20c.

I went to woolies and borrowed :) some polystyrene boxes that they used to deliver the fruit and veg. I then cut up the boxes used the polystyrene to line the inside of a cuboard. I put the fermenter in the cuboard along with a 2 litre Coke bottle or 2 full of frozen water. The temps pushes up to 20 during the first few days of strong fermentation and then slowly settle to 18 towards the end of the week.

This cuboard has work for me when the temps outside were mid 30s. Took me a few hours to make and cost nothing :) Just have th rotate the frozen bottles every day.

Hmmm,

I too have brewed about 50 kits and typically have kept the temperature around the 25-28 degree mark. Like some others I have liked the result.

Now I am getting serious about brewing good beer (The story is I went to the Wig and Pen after after a long absence, and their beers put mine in the shade....).

It seems from this thread that there are two types of yeast mainly user here - lager and ale. What are the ideal temps for each? Are there any online resources that I can read to educate myself further???

Another question - I am currently brewing a dutch lager (Black Rock Clonial Lager with the German Lager converion kit and 250g dextrose) and have used the Saflager s-04 yeast. I am keeping the temperature around the 20c mark (in Canberra it is not to hard to do so.....). Made the kit up on the 21st Nov. And it is still fermenting, a bubble every 30 secs or so. How long can I expect it to ferment for??

Cheers and Beers :beer:

Hopman

Have you taken SG readings? I would expect it to be complete by now. Perhaps the bubbles in the airlock are CO2 coming out of solution.

As for yeast resources, there's plenty of sites to give you the information you require. A search of this forum would yield plenty of information, but manufaturer's sites are also good, such as:

White Labs
WYeast
Brewsters

Ok, after much assing around, this beer will be in bottles tomorrow (thats right, Ive saved up some MSB bottles for this onecant hand out little kegs to all my family).

Held a constant 20-22deg temp during ferment (didnt let it reach 22 until maybe the 3rd or 4th day) and the sample taken yesterday displayed a thoroughly neutral odour.

The S-04 yeast seems to have left very clear beer behind, even just after primaryfound this with another brew kegged today toowhen cleaning my fermenter the yeast cake slid out almost intact!

If Steve is correct this should be a fairly good beerwill confirm/deny on Christmas day :D

PZ.

mredgy said:
I also have a converted chest freezer that I keep around 10-12c. To do my diacetyl rest on the pils/lagers, I just switch off the freezer and open the lid for 3 days, before racking to secondary, then lid down and frezzer on again. I have a variable thermostat, so I can also bring it slowly down to about 2c for CC.
[post="92626"][/post]​

gday all,

Diacetyl Rest ???

i've got two lagers in my Brewbox (Chest Frzr with Adlo Thermo Control) at the moment.

#1 Lager, i racked to secondary yesterday after 14 days @ 12*C and replaced in the lower half of the Brewbox where the temp is 4*C / 5*C.

#2 Lager (brewed yesterday) is obviously in the top half @ 11*C.

these are the only brews i've done with proper control of temp, so my experience is limited to say the least.

my question is what is Diacetyl Rest and how important is it ?

Should i pull #1 Lager out for a few days ?, (bloody hot up here by the way).

thanks for any help.
yard

Only been in the bottle for a week, but I couldn't help myself and chilled then cracked one open today for a taste test...told myself it was to check for infections :)

Not bad at all and should be good by some weeks after New Years. It'll be good enough for the relatives by Christmas though :beer:

PZ.

Tried another today minus yesterday's hangover :lol:

Can anybody say apricots...dried apricots... :blink:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back