Pigs & Little - our electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mofox1 said:
And, I assume, a piece of external threaded pipe through the middle?

I was planning on using a threaded to compression bulkhead from Connor Breware, and a 90deg dip tube (tilted / bent to the side) from Full Pint for mine - exactly as per the ball valves on the front of my BK & HLT.

Pic of the bulkhead from Connor Breware:
Weldless%20Bulkhead%20MPT%20to%20Compression-420x420.jpg

At $20 ea I think it works out economical, considering you don't need additonal compression fittings or lock nuts.

If you zoom in (and squint a bit), you can see them in action on my kettle in my gallery pics (posting links instead of pics to keep your build thread relatively clean!) - external & internal of kettle.

I'm planning to use these for every bulkhead on the HLT & BK - possibly on the MT as well if I use stainless tube for the manifold and sparge arm.
Ordered 3x, thanks!

Hey Crouch

Just wanted to chime in and say that although I agree entirely with what middy's told you about cable sizing, I'd be cautious following any "suggestions" from them; or any other type of trade wholesaler for that matter. You never know whether the guy behind the counter has any reliable knowledge (educated or by experience), or whether they are just "counter jockeys" who know how to type a part number into a computer and walk to a shelf! There's plenty of both sorts!!

:)

Baz

bazfletch3 said:
Hey Crouch

Just wanted to chime in and say that although I agree entirely with what middy's told you about cable sizing, I'd be cautious following any "suggestions" from them; or any other type of trade wholesaler for that matter. You never know whether the guy behind the counter has any reliable knowledge (educated or by experience), or whether they are just "counter jockeys" who know how to type a part number into a computer and walk to a shelf! There's plenty of both sorts!!

:)

Baz
Thanks Baz

This has been the biggest issue with my build so far, just trying to get an answer to which cabling to use, even two electricians I have spoken to gave me two different answers. Part of the reason why I asked (further up in my thread) what other people who have built a similar panel have done, yet despite the seemingly numerous builds, got very little response too.

Anyway, appreciate the post. I'll push ahead with the 4mm and 2.5mm wiring unless someone who has actually built the same panel (or similar) with the same 5500w elements has anything else to add.

Cheers

It's taken some doing (and MANY trips to Middys to find the right cable) but we have POWER!

wehavepower.jpg

Very exciting, on with the rest of the wiring ... and hopefully we'll be brewing this week!

Nice! Good pic BTW, what camera are you using?
I see you have the same issue with the sestos PID's plastic facias lifting

sjp770 said:
Nice! Good pic BTW, what camera are you using?
It's a Canon 60D ... I've always been 'interested' in photography but never really done anything about it bar buying this camera. I should probably get around to 'taking some lessons' ... once the brewery is done! :D

Lol, I have a Canon 5D mkii but somehow all my pics get taken with the mobile :(

Nice to see you're using it

Been able to grab a bit of time to get most of the wiring complete. The pumps are working, the elements are working, the PIDs are working ... need to complete some minor wiring for the timer (then testing). At this point I haven't wired up the AMP and VOLT meters, given they can be a little 'fiddly', I've left them till the very end, after all they are not necessary for the unit to run nor of any use in actually brewing.

In this pic the water pump is recirculating water in the HLT, whilst the element heats it up :)

Progress!

almostdone.jpg

Looking good, will you be adding a name plate?

Crouch said:
Been able to grab a bit of time to get most of the wiring complete. The pumps are working, the elements are working, the PIDs are working ... need to complete some minor wiring for the timer (then testing). At this point I haven't wired up the AMP and VOLT meters, given they can be a little 'fiddly', I've left them till the very end, after all they are not necessary for the unit to run nor of any use in actually brewing.

In this pic the water pump is recirculating water in the HLT, whilst the element heats it up :)

Progress!

attachicon.gif
almostdone.jpg
That mate is a work of art. Hope your first brew day is a good one. Post pics.
Cheers
Steve

sjp770 said:
Looking good, will you be adding a name plate?
I'd like to, but haven't sorted out a logo for the name yet - maybe get a couple done up on fiverr :)

Currently auto-tuning the PIDS, though I did forget to calibrate them against another thermometer first, so am hoping I can do that after they have been auto-tuned. It shouldn't be a problem though (according to my growing understanding) in that the auto-tune function only 'teaches' the PID how to react (heat, dont heat etc) in the setup I have to maintain the SV.

Steve said:
That mate is a work of art. Hope your first brew day is a good one. Post pics.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks mate, nothing I can really take credit for though - it's pretty much a Kal clone. There will be pics, and most probably some video for my youtube channel also :)

Crouch said:
I'll push ahead with the 4mm and 2.5mm wiring unless someone who has actually built the same panel (or similar) with the same 5500w elements has anything else to add.
I have the same 5500w element in my pot (recirc BIAB). IIRC I got a sparky to install a 25amp circuit for that element. He made an extension lead out of welder power cable, anyway thats what he called it. Its real thick. I had to extend the extension lead with some of the Bunnings 4mm stuff (heaviest gage they've got). It gets a little warm but hasn't melted yet :D

Some first hand experience for ya.

Your 'Brew Cave' looks awesome.

Thanks for the feedback, I picked up my cable from Middys - I couldnt mind any 4mm stuff at Bunnings, though I was only looking at orange flex cable. I had my elements running for around an hour tonight and couldn't feel any heat in the cable at all, in fact they were slightly cold?

It's a pretty extravagant indulgence that place ... fun place to faff around :)

Latest posts

Back