Pigs & Little - our electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given my assumptions about the AWG Kal uses and the conversion chart, I have used 2.5mm core for the earth cables, and where Kal mentions using 14 gauge wire I have used 1.5mm core cabling.

wiring-1.jpg

sjp770 said:
I know that post is for people with completed panels, but my basic theory was this:

- Strip wires from computer power leads. I know what sort of draw these can stand up to and i'm comfortable using them on 90% of the panel.
- Research to a great extent what current my 'current' shed circuit can handle based on 4mm2 cable. Get sparky to up the breaker, plan on a sub board. This is 25A btw.
- Use the same gauge wire that's running to my shed for the items using 90% of the current available.

I tried to match the flex cable I use as close as I could to Kals build but ended up just asking the local electrical wholesale place for twin and earth flex for up to 30A, they recommended 6mm flex.
I might up things as they are for the elements and power-in cable, use 4mm for the elements and 6mm for the power-in.

I agree with your thoughts using computer leads for the internal wiring - we have an abundance of them hanging around the office, they come with every bloody server we buy and we've amassed boxes of them!

What cabling have you used (or thinking about using) for the smaller lower voltage/DC '24 gauge' sections of your panel?

Once I have my wiring choices under control, I'll then start drawing up my understanding of the circuit inside the panel and how it works. It's been many years since I've drawn an electrical diagram so I smash something out in visio (as Gaza did) and pop that up for feedback.

Cheers

I just used speaker cable. Its bigger than the cable off 2A 12vdc power packs so it will be fine. The LM317's only support 1A and teh meters will use a lot less than that. I'm not sure if I will use the same for the SSR's. The good part about the speaker cable is it stands out as not AC Active or neutral colours.

POWER IN - 20amp rated wire which I sourced from bunnings (I know i was surprised to, ask a sparky for size etc sadly can't remember the size but was solid core)
INTERNALS ELEMENTS - Stripped 20amp wires for wiring to the elements
INTERNALS 10amp - Stripped some server IEC cables I got from work which we don't use.
PUMP EXTENSIONS - Got some 10amp cable from bunnings - green pumps don't require to much
INTERNAL 12vdc - Went to jaycar and got 12vdc rated wire, had a simple sign to follow for what you need.
EXTERNAL 12vdc electronic ball valves - Cat5e Networking cables

Sorry i didn't have and sizes etc but it was awhile ago..

gava said:
POWER IN - 20amp rated wire which I sourced from bunnings (I know i was surprised to, ask a sparky for size etc sadly can't remember the size but was solid core)
INTERNALS 10amp - Stripped some server IEC cables I got from work which we don't use.
PUMP EXTENSIONS - Got some 10amp cable from bunnings - green pumps don't require to much
INTERNAL 12vdc - Went to jaycar and got 12vdc rated wire, had a simple sign to follow for what you need.

Thanks Gava.

gava said:

Just for reference here, what size elements are you running Gav?

Thanks for that. need to suss out if mine was wrong or something else killed the meter.. im certain it had the same rating on the side. Having those pics helps

I've started mounting components onto that back plate of the electrical box and needed something to lift the LM317 power supplies of the board (due to the mountings on the back of the circuit board).

Had a look in this box of bits (which I use for another hobby) thinking there must be something I can use:

box-of-bits.jpg

I found several different pieces from various tank kits that I thought would be useful, and then found these wheel hub mountings:

tank-wheels.jpg

They fit absolutely perfectly and worked a treat!

components-lifted.jpg

Now we continue the wait for the relays and transformers to arrive.

nice, I shoved some rubber washers under mine, not the best solution as the whole unit wasn't very stable.

Yeah I first tried some EVA foam rubber, but that was too flexible and the whole boards shifted around. These are hard plastic so I was able to screw them down nice and tight ... they dont move now :)

Crouch said:
The HLT is complete, except for one bloody quick disconnect I forget to pick up when I went out for parts today! The HERMS coil is in place, it sits about 1" above the element (maybe a little less) so I hope there wont be any problems with scorching etc. I finally managed to get the element housing water tight ... so this put is pretty much good to go now.

med_gallery_31581_1212_23123.jpg
What did you use for the water in/return bulkhead?

Bloody nice setup BTW. Wish I'd gone for the longer stainless bench - 1.5m is big enough for my two pots and esky mash tun, but it might be a be squeezy when I replace the esky and (maybe/probably) get a small herms pot. Maybe the herms can go underneath somehow?.... :huh:

Yeah, I bought the longer bench with the view to changing the pots to 150 litres. Knowing me, that probably wont be too far in the future, I almost bought 3 the other night after a few drinks even though I've never brewed with these!

It's just a simple ball valve with a SS washer and silicon o-ring on the outside, and another o-ring and washer on the inside, held together with a SS nut.

And, I assume, a piece of external threaded pipe through the middle?

I was planning on using a threaded to compression bulkhead from Connor Breware, and a 90deg dip tube (tilted / bent to the side) from Full Pint for mine - exactly as per the ball valves on the front of my BK & HLT.

Pic of the bulkhead from Connor Breware:
Weldless%20Bulkhead%20MPT%20to%20Compression-420x420.jpg

At $20 ea I think it works out economical, considering you don't need additonal compression fittings or lock nuts.

If you zoom in (and squint a bit), you can see them in action on my kettle in my gallery pics (posting links instead of pics to keep your build thread relatively clean!) - external & internal of kettle.

I'm planning to use these for every bulkhead on the HLT & BK - possibly on the MT as well if I use stainless tube for the manifold and sparge arm.

Ha! I was also looking at these today but from aliexpress, $20 is a good price I reckon. I'd use them.

Well, I just got back from Middy's, where I asked them about the wiring for my 30amp control panel. They can't 'recommend' what I should use but 'suggested' that 4mm core will be fine for carrying 30amps, and the 2.5mm will be fine for 20amps. SOOO ... I have to re-wire a bunch of stuff in my panel. I've been asking all over the place (here, other forums etc) so its good to get some 'clarification' from them (as well as people here), feeling much more at easy now. Still waiting on some components to arrive so there is no rush, but the only frustrating thing is the cables I used for the elements (2.5mm which need to be changed to 4mm now) I had wrapped in some expandable cable braiding so they were all pretty, I'll need to strip that all back now, but like I said ... much more at ease.

Cheers

Its good to know though :) what parts are you waiting before your first brew?

waiting on the relays and the transformers

Latest posts

Back