Phosphoric Acid Dilution?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one fellow brewers,
thanks for all the advice. I have a starter going now that should be ready by Friday. I shall give the solution a try when I brew then.

cheers
johnno

Hi Pint of lager,

I have allways wondered just how much of the bleach effectiveness is lost when the container is sealed with a lid.
I can still smell bleach after storage for some time and a good rinse with clean water seems to do the job for me.
The syringe is a good idea, I will try and get one from the chemist next time I am there.

Cheers

The detergent also removes some of the lipids found in the cell membranes. This weakens the cells and makes them easier to kill with acids.
I think acid alone requires long contact times (2+ hours).
cheers
Darren

Just bringing this to the top in light of a recent discussion amongst some fellow brewers.

Some excellent info that has made things a whole lot clearer for me at least.

Cheers guys!

sosman said:
And don't keep it in PET bottles.
[post="40604"][/post]​

Silly question time, why not?

Duff said:
Off topic - dishwashing detergent is a cheap way to help with the dry areas on your lawns.

Off topic again.
Duff, how do you know this? I'm a bit of a lawn lover & use 'Wetta Soil' to help the dry spots absorb water. Always having problems with those #1*)$^@ dry spots. :angry:

Tidalpete said:
Duff said:
Off topic - dishwashing detergent is a cheap way to help with the dry areas on your lawns.

Off topic again.
Duff, how do you know this? I'm a bit of a lawn lover & use 'Wetta Soil' to help the dry spots absorb water. Always having problems with those #1*)$^@ dry spots. :angry:
[post="64610"][/post]​

The same way your Wetta-Soil works, breaks down the surface tension of the water droplet helping the detergent to spread more evenly.

wee stu said:
sosman said:
And don't keep it in PET bottles.
[post="40604"][/post]​

Silly question time, why not?
[post="64602"][/post]​
Well within about 6 months, concentrated phosphoric acid will start seeping through the bottom of the PET. I imagine some time later the whole lot will just leak out, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Really? Mines in a plastic container, has been for what, 8 months now.

jgriffin said:
Really? Mines in a plastic container, has been for what, 8 months now.
[post="64648"][/post]​

You probably got ripped off and got a 25% solution.

After all this time I just love my acid.
Works a treat.

johnno

johnno said:
After all this time I just love my acid.
Works a treat.

johnno
[post="112172"][/post]​

Thanks for this post johnno, I was going to have to search tomorrow, prior to my first brew of the season. You little mind reader you.

my lot came straight from the supplier that supplies the supplier that supplies the adelaide home brew market, could be another supplier in there to many of the one word kills me.

any way it is in a plastic type container, when i find it will look at the handling data sheet that the lovely girls supplied me with.

Would discussing where to purchase Phosphoric Acid be considered off topic? :rolleyes:

I'm on the hunt for some in WA, as well as some LABS Acid, as it seems these are the crucial ingredients in Defender (probably my ideal sanitiser), and after reading all of sosman's great advice am keen to save some money and do it myself (just like everything in life).

If there are already threads about this I apologise for not finding them, the search function never works like I want it to!

Would discussing where to purchase Phosphoric Acid be considered off topic? :rolleyes:

I'm on the hunt for some in WA, as well as some LABS Acid, as it seems these are the crucial ingredients in Defender (probably my ideal sanitiser), and after reading all of sosman's great advice am keen to save some money and do it myself (just like everything in life).

If there are already threads about this I apologise for not finding them, the search function never works like I want it to!

Bloke I would start with

• Jasol Australia

• Manufacturers of Cleaning Chemical Products
    • 131 Garling St O'Connor 6163
    • (08) 9337 4844
Cheers
Doug

Back