PET priming upside down. Cap contamination?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
I've been forced to embrace the PET bottle for my precious Meredith Lager so that I'm allowed to bring them along to the amphitheatre in early December.

Between now and then, I'm concerned about losing carbonation and oxidation. I've got about 2 months.

I'm guessing that if I prime my bottles upside down, there will be less lid-bottle connection CO2 loss. I'm thinking this may create a possible issue with plastic cap contamination? Should I be all good or should I definitely not do this.

Alternatively, I can leave the beer in a keg uncarbonated for another month and bottle later. Although, I'd like to have the keg free for another beer.

Secondly, does anyone have any idea how long it would take for oxidation to occur?

Cheers!

Just prime and bottle the beer. Squeeze out the air and put on the lid. Store like normal and enjoy. I have apple cider 10 months in PET bottles and is still great. I bottle all my beer in coopers pet. I condition for a month to 6 weeks , never had a bad one. I put the bottles in a garbage bag inside the coopers boxes and stack them on the shelf. Makes identifying and handling very easy . During summer I have had a few explode as these bottles where old , stress marks around the bottles feet. Clean up is quick and painless. No washing the ceilings .

+1 I have a extra strong stout that I bottled in PET in February this year and it is still fully carbed eight months later. I wouldn't leave it more than a year but it will be all gone by then. There is a lot of misinformation peddled about PET - just screw the tops on firmly and all will be well. Two months is about the sweet spot to be consuming most bottle conditioned beers.

I second the comments above. Simply put, don't worry about oxidation, contamination or storing your bottles upside down

Further supporting info,
  • consider the tightly sealed union of the cap to PET bottle almost the same as a crown seal. Two surfaces, held flush by the thread of the bottle or the crown crimps.
  • removing air from the PET is easier than a glass bottle, not that a small amount of air in a glass bottle is an issue anyway
  • contamination should be non existent if you sanitise both the bottle and cap
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back