Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macca81

Reaction score
i didnt really know where else to put this, but it seems that the common ground would be about right...

so, i just bottled a brew today, and i had a heap of PET bottles that i aquired for nicks, so i used a few of them.
now, i like how easy they were to use, much quicker than capping the normal stubbies and long-necks, but i still feel that it will feel like i am drinking beer out of a coke bottle...

so, im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on using PET for beer? i know that plenty use them, but what are the pros and cons and does anyone still have the mental problem of drinking beer out of plastic?(i know im not the only to have this in the back of my head...)

so, thoughts on PET vs Glass?

I drink my beer out of glass..... after I pour it out of the PET bottle.

Nothing wrong with PET especially when you are starting out. Avoids bombs if you cock up with priming or sanitation.

I would suggest you pour you beer into a glass instead of necking it from the bottle like a homeless dude. That way it doesn't matter what it's stored in.

Cheers, Mat

PET bottles you can feel them to tell when your beer is carbonated. If you use soft drink bottles keep um in the dark.
Coopers and Morgan bottles are $1.00 each and some leak.

Coopers Longnecks are the business and just feel right with the correct weight drawback is you have to buy caps and a capper.

For my brews I try to bottle in glass with one early tester in a 600ml coke PET for sampling.

Steer well clear of drinking from a bottle, beer and aroma should be savoured from a clean glass just like the wine ponces (Oz Clark).

Love the PET but please pour it into glass :p

Also have been collecting lots of swing top Grolsch bottles, easy to "cap" and great serving size. Because it tastes better (and to leave sediment behind) still poured into glass :rolleyes:

edit: spelling

at home i drink from a glass, but sometimes its not a realistic option when at Rover events :p you just loose too much beer from a bunch of rouwdy drunkards knocking your arm! we have tried glasses at these events in the past and gave up from beer wastage

Bottle in glass stubbies for your social events then. Or just take commercial beer.

I bottle in glass but I ferment in plastic. It therefore stands to reason that plastic and my beer sometimes agree with each other.

Get a 4 pack of 450ml grolsch swingtop bottles and fridge them empty after drinking the beer.

Line the bottles up on the bench, caps off.

Take one of your 2L pet bottles of beer out of the fridge (left overnight to fully cool), open it and pour it slowly into the first bottle.

Leaving the 2L pet bottle on the same angle, grab and pour the second swingtop bottle. Repeat until the forth one is filled.

You now have 4 coldies without sediment that will remain carbonated for at least 24 hours.

Hand your mate a 450ml grolsch stubbie of your clear beer - 50% of taste is in the packaging.

this, i like!
Get a 4 pack of 450ml grolsch swingtop bottles and fridge them empty after drinking the beer.

Line the bottles up on the bench, caps off.

Take one of your 2L pet bottles of beer out of the fridge (left overnight to fully cool), open it and pour it slowly into the first bottle.

Leaving the 2L pet bottle on the same angle, grab and pour the second swingtop bottle. Repeat until the forth one is filled.

You now have 4 coldies without sediment that will remain carbonated for at least 24 hours.

Hand your mate a 450ml grolsch stubbie of your clear beer - 50% of taste is in the packaging.

hungryLarge.jpg

CHUG!, CHUG!, CHUG!, CHUG!, CHUG!....

Latest posts

Back