Perth water - Wanneroo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm yet to brew with wanneroo water, given this analysis how are you guys going about your water treatment?

On the subject of water I just added two litres of cooled boiled water to my 19 keg of IPA in an effort to reduce the amount of body this brew had.
Although I had concerns, I shouldn't of had as the beer is perfect.

Just thought I'd add this in case others ever find themselves in a similar situation.

I'm in tuart hill so near by. I brew using bottled water most of the time.

Thanks for sharing that Harlenator!

I'm in the middle of Wanneroo right near Scenic drive so this perfect.

Thanks for sharing that. I am in a coastal suburb in Wanneroo and our tap water tastes like arse. I filter all the water I brew with.
A simple caravan type cartridge filter and food grade hose from Bunings oes the rick.

I too have started using a water filter, just a Brita on tap filter and it makes a huge difference to the water taste I get in Ashby which is right next to Wanneroo.

I love how they generalize the readings and how there's no reference to any other contaminants,

Substance % rejection Substance % rejection
Aluminium 96-98 Fluoride 96-98
Sodium 92-98 Bromide 90-95
Magnesium 93-98 Cyanide 93-97
Potassium 92-96 Sulfate 96-99
Calcium 93-99 Thiosulfate 96-98
Manganese 96-98 Silicate 92-95
Iron 96-98 Silica 95-98
Copper 96-99 Nitrate 93-98
Nickel 96-99 Polyphosphate 96-98
Cadmium 93-97 Orthophosphate 96-98
Silver 93-96 Chromate 90-95
Zinc 97-99 Bacteria >99
Mercury 94-97 Lead 96-98
Hardness Ca&Mg 93-97 Arsenic 90-98
Radioactivity 93-97 Medications 97-99
Chloride 92-98 Chlorofoam 71-90
Ammonium 85-90 Tin (11) Sulfate 83-87
PCB’s 97-99 PBA’s 96-98

This is what a typical RO system will filter out. Note this is not a medical grade RO which filters everything.

Hi,

I got my local water chemistry report today and thought I would share. I live in Kingsley but this should be comparable.

Be good if there was a central place where we could load all water analysis, something easy to drill down by state to your area.

Cheers,

Harlenator.

View attachment 70217
Do you think this is still the same? Sorry I'm just getting into water adjustments. I live in marangaroo

My brother and sister-in-law live in Armadale and the water there also tastes quite bad. They buy the Penguin water from the local servo and put it into a water cooler stand. It's much the same here on the Gold Coast and I use a Stefani 5 micron bench top filter for all my drinking water needs including tea, coffee and, of course, making beer.

Do you think this is still the same? Sorry I'm just getting into water adjustments. I live in marangaroo

Do yourself a favour and ring the water Corp and tell them exactly where you live and what you want the water report for and they will email you a copy, I live in Hamersley and I’m on the Mt yokine locality plant, even within one suburb your water can be from different plants.

Do yourself a favour and ring the water Corp and tell them exactly where you live and what you want the water report for and they will email you a copy, I live in Hamersley and I’m on the Mt yokine locality plant, even within one suburb your water can be from different plants.
Thanks mate.

even within one suburb your water can be from different plants
Even from the same plant the water composition does change on a day to day basis depending on what the shandy of desalination water, bore water, and dam water they are supplying.

My advice is to go RO and never look back, your taste buds will love you for it…

Even from the same plant the water composition does change on a day to day basis depending on what the shandy of desalination water, bore water, and dam water they are supplying.

My advice is to go RO and never look back, your taste buds will love you for it…
Do you have to add anything to the water once it's been through the ro filter?

Yes you have to remineralise the water to get the correct balance of minerals and also get the correct Ph for the mash (beer style)

Get a copy of Bru’n Water Excel spread sheet, free or get the upgrade for $10 (from memory) I also purchased a MW102 Ph meter, which I didn't need to cos every brew has hit the Ph bang on, now I just use a teaspoon of this half a teaspoon of that and a pinch of the other!! bit slack but the beer’s fine }

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

The author is a top bloke has a facebook page and is a mine of brewing water information, other calculators around too that people use, I like Martins’ passion for the subject….

Yes you have to remineralise the water to get the correct balance of minerals and also get the correct Ph for the mash (beer style)

Get a copy of Bru’n Water Excel spread sheet, free or get the upgrade for $10 (from memory) I also purchased a MW102 Ph meter, which I didn't need to cos every brew has hit the Ph bang on, now I just use a teaspoon of this half a teaspoon of that and a pinch of the other!! bit slack but the beer’s fine }

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

The author is a top bloke has a facebook page and is a mine of brewing water information, other calculators around too that people use, I like Martins’ passion for the subject….
What do you actually put a teaspoon and pinch off? I have some gypsum nd a ph metre, I bought yesterday but unsure of what else I need to lower ph

Latest posts

Back