Perth Brewers' Big Day Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big d,

I was having a (friendly) dig at KOOK. Somewhere in his HUGE collection of PHOTOS of SYDFEST back in April 2003, he has a piccy(or he said he has photos) of about 12 of us OUTSIDE the Malt Shovel Brewery holding up our t-shirts and bottle openers that we had got inside after our tour through the brewery.

Wasabi, you dont, or your friend have piccies from the day...Doc did you have a camera???

Dopey me,... I oranized it and didn't bring a camera the whole weekend!!!! :(

no worries linz
hopefully the offer of my camera on this wander may rib other dig camera holders to bring them along or what ever.we dont want my one sided devious pics posted to distort the great time we will all have.besides it may take me some time to work out how to post them but it will happen......soon

From my reading we got

deebee
bigd
goat
pyrim
kook
chatty (maybe)
jasony (maybe)

Any others???

Good to have definites from chatty and jasony. Wouldn't want to leave the first stop without you and miss you altogether. Chatty you have been working too hard and need a few hours off to blow away some cobwebs. It's all in the name of science.

And haven't heard from you for a while, pyrim. Still coming?

yup yup
im still keen and i got the email
cheers
cya there
:chug:

i'm still up in the air at the moment - if i work my arse off for the next few days then i might be able to squeeze it in...

i better say that i'm a grudging no at the moment - but that may (hopefully) change...

Chatty

Went to the IBS tasting last night, 7 beers, $10. It was good :) Few little things I didnt agree with in the tastings, but you get that :)

I got to try one new beer (i'd tried the others), shepard naemes "Master Brew". Wasnt very masterous in my opinion though ;)

Its a great concept though, and I'd go to another tasting night.

Sorry folks, i sat down last night and counted the number of days till a 72 page thesis is due - 46.

The number i've written? 1/2...

I gotta give this one a miss but would be bloody keen if one was on after christmas/new year.

have a good one but,

Chatty

Chatty,
We'll miss you but see you some other time.

Kook,
I'm booked in next week and looking forward to it. How big is each tasting sample? No problems for driving home? What was the best beer there IYO? How many people there? Other home-brewers?

Barring any problems navigating the perth bus system I will be there, from what I can tell one should drop me off at the door at 11:45am.

Front bar at the sail & anchor isn't it? hmm ... beer.

For what its worth, I went to one a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The chaps running it were a little green and it took a bit for everyone (me) to warm up to it, but the guys were enthusiastic and interested and were keen to explain what they are doing and aiming for.

I would like to have liked to have concentrated on a particular style and looked at alternatives or specifics within the style in question - but I guess that will happen in due course. They sampled 6-8 (can't remember) different styles - Pils, English Ale, Porter, Belgian etc. The samples were reasonably international in spread though there was a fair bit of MS content (not a bad thing of course),

While they served about half a glass, I did have to watch what I consumed and some of the ones towards the end I had to drink less of and turf the rest in a spitoon :( (that hurts). If I knew that there was going to be that sort of quantity, I perhaps would have turfed parts of the first few instead (personal choice of course). They do go to great lengths to tell you how many standard drinks you will be consuming though.

hey fellas

I am way behind on my uni work
I thought I would have finished but unfortunately I haven't so dont wait around for me tomorrow

pete

ps have fun

Well, hopefully some WILL come. don't let the storm put you off. See you all there, 12 noon corner bar Sail & Anchor.

So, how'd the big day go fellas? awesome day for it... i can imagine the tastings becoming a full blown session

Chatty

Aah that was great. Only five of us but well worth the train fare. Relaxed, casual, low-key. Onya kook and thanks for the idea. As discussed, we'll do it again some time in summer.

It would be good to attract more Perth brewers for the next instalment - Chatty, Pyrim, Vindaloo, JasonY, others... Next time bring a glass and a bottle of something you brewed and we'll sit in Clancy's beergarden and compare swill then drink some of their finest.

Actually I was pretty impressed with Clancy's range. I liked the Nail Ale and that Feral Belgian Wheat was pretty good. And the bloke hands out free tasters and small doses of palate-cleansing soda water, which is a good touch. I will definitely go there again. And of course it's always a pleasure to drink pints of pale ale at Little Creatures.

Up to bigd now to post those snaps after his holiday. Jayse you will cream your jeans at all the shiny stainless steel at LC brewery all on a large scale. The hop back is big enough for a Wayne Carey spa-party.

glad to hear it was a good day.
how are the sail and anchor brews.what were they like.
that hop back at l.c would hold a couple of grand worth of hops.
i was talking to grumpy dave a while back about upgrading to a 100 litre system.he's like what the hell for.iam like, because i can and i want to.
i want be satisfied untill i oneday have stainless steel monsters.

Top work. better make it early january but lads, i've gotta head over east by the end of january!

wouldn't mind getting a few other brewers opinions before i go but, the only comment i've had till now has been me dads mates who probably wouldn't know what they were drinking.

love to see those pics bigd

Chatty

Glad to see it went well, appologies for not showing up ... got waylayed. I will stay tuned for the pics and the next one when it comes up.

yep it was a great day and good meeting some fellow brewers onya fellas.will post the pics next week as im currently on the inlaws comp and will wait till back home.
did any of you blokes roll a few kegs away from clancys?
kinda inviting i thought.
but must admit the little creatures pale ale freshly poured made my day.
jayse only got to try the sail and anchor pale ale and it was quite bitter but very nice. you will love the creatures bar photos.
stay tuned. :)

No. All the kegs were there when we left. (I swear Your Honour)

Thanks Kook for organising the get together, it was a most enjoyable way to spend a few hours and was great to meet the other chaps on the list.

I look forward to the next one and the sampling of a few homebrews....

Latest posts

Back