Perth Brewday Early Nov Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
Hi All

Yes I've been saying it for a while and was going to do an APA LCPA taste off day but the vial of WLP001 from Chris White's yeast talk went into a batch of Golden Ale that has gone horribly wrong so that idea is down the drain (almost literally)

So the plan is:
Brewday most likely on the 11 or 12 th of Novemember at my place, how does this fit in with everyones busy schedules
(this depends on when I can get to Chillamcgillas hosue to help him make the sausages!!!)

I participated in the buy of the Timothy Taylors yeast via Kirem recently so will have it by then grown into a suitably large sized starter.

I have a "coke can kettle" that holds 80 or 90 litres and we go for broke and brew a mega batch of Timothy Taylors Landlord and try and fill the kettle then split some of the wort up at the end of the day between a few lucky participants (method of working out who is lucky or not will be decided between now and then!)

Unlucky participants may go home with a sample of the yeast!

The provisos are:
GP malt needs to be available (I will check)
I need another 50-60L esky with a braid manifold.

Comments suggestions???

12 Nov would be out for me, if 11 Nov then I, my wheely keg and any required extra bits of brew equipment would be there. A TT day sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should all put in for a sack of GP, and get enough gear together to mash the whole bag? I could supply a second 80 l kettle and burner.

Go BIG!!!

12th - Out
11th - IN

I can bring a fresh experience of what it actually tastes like from a hand pumped cask if you'd like? ;)

Asher for now

12 Nov would be out for me, if 11 Nov then I, my wheely keg and any required extra bits of brew equipment would be there. A TT day sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should all put in for a sack of GP, and get enough gear together to mash the whole bag? I could supply a second 80 l kettle and burner.

Sounds like a great idea GL,
Unfortunlatey I wont be able to get there until abut 4.30pm, as I am taking an exam at 2pm.

A date has been set - great stuff! Mrs Macgilla is at Freo markets that weekend so I better call in baby sitting favours from the rellos ASAP.

Let me know your preferred date for cranking out some links and I will make myself available. I am up for splitting a bag of GP and can bring a 47lt braided manifold mash tun, 50lt kettle n burner if required...

My first AG brew, a TTLS inspired Pale Ale split batch, will be ready by then and we can do a comparison between 1318 & 1275(Belgianified)......long story.

Cheers and looking forward to it.

At this stage, a big tentative yes from me, but possibly more definite closer to the date.

Prefer the 12th but either day is going to be difficult.

Either date is good for me. If this communal megabrew gets off the ground, I have a 65L boiler with cfc attached and 35L mash pot (with specified braid) that I can chuck into the wagon. Both are gas heated.

I'm in Darryn.

Good idea by GL on grabbing a bag - I'm up for a share in that.

The 11th is better for me - if only for my religious commitments;
Thou shalt keep holy the sabbath.... for hangovers

At the moment then Sat the 11th is sounding best and is probably my preferred option.

If we go a whole bag then rough calcs at 70% efficiency give a batch size of approx 120 litres :eek:
with 2L/kg for the mash gives a volume of 69L so split between two ~50L esky MLT's would be ok with some batch sparges (sorry Asher!). My poor little marga mill may have a hissy at crushing 25kg so may crush the night before or GL can you bring a mill too?

Equipment wise I will do a trial boil of water only to see if I can get a rolling boil in the kettle with it nearly full otherwise I may borrow a hand held immersion element. Some of that antifoam stuff might be a good idea
I have a 40L urn and 20L urn for strike and sparge water and normally heat in my kettle as well.

Chillamcgilla your esky will be required

GL & Tony M please be on standby for kettles and burners!

Mrs Ausdb will let me know tomorrow if she is working or not so if she is around then partners are welcome if they can stand it.

I have a large pile of spare paving bricks at the side of my carport so part of the fun may be building our own brewing sculpture to gravity feed the kettle from the mash tuns. I can pump out of my kettle through the CFC. Hopefully the diverter plate in the kettle will work OK!

This could be a long day so don't worry sinkas if you can only get there at 4:30pm we are heading into uncharted waters here, the biggest bacth I have done so far is 60L!!!

You little ripper!

<Makes careful note of the date and time, just in case temporary retardation strikes again.>

Afraid I'm out I will be in a plane on the way back from the US :) hopefully with some good news that they are giving me a job and I can spend a few years over there brewing like a madman :eek:

I like the mash a full bag of grain idea! Will have to make it to the next one.

I'm up for either date.

If theres any way I can help bringing anything along let me know.

Good idea to turn down GL's offer of the mash tun :D

Sounds good, there's probably something vitally important that I'm meant to be doing that day...but bugger that...think I'll go to a brew day instead :beer:

Mika

i'll be returning from a conference on hayman island on the 11th and wont be allowed out of SWMBO's sight for the day, but the 12th would be fine...

Chillamcgilla your esky will be required
Done. Giving the esky it's second run(Chrissy case brew) this weekend, any leaks will have become apparent by the 11th.... won't they....

I will send a PM re:teeing up making snaggers.

Like a well oiled machine there Darryn - top work!

"Rememberance day brew day 2006"

I am happy to help out with any equipment, I have a NASA and 50L kettle oh well more like a 46litre

Back