Perth Brewday Early Nov Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how is it tasting?

We tasted one fermented by you, one by Chilla, one by Sinkas, and a bottle of the real thing. I was too busy to try to pick the subtle differences between the different fermenters, but compared to the real thing, the AusDB fresh wort kit is lighter in colour,less malty, and with a less assertive bitterness in the aftertaste, but a very similar hop flavour and aroma. Its very much in the ballpark, a spectacular beer in my opinion, which I preferred to the real thing.

If we do it again I will be much less courteous about letting other people get the wort.

Heya,

i also did a simular thing the other day with a mate, we got a few bottles of TTLLPA from the shop and compared them to AusDB's brewday ones and found they were very simular but would easily choose
AusDB's ones over the commerical version! i was quite suprised how close it tasted. Good Work Guys!

Rob.

Had a brewday yesterday with 5 members of my brewclub out here, in preparation for a State brew comp - the Dixie Cup. It reminded me of our bash, but as is there wont, the Texans like to do things "bigger". So, we did a *double* bag mash, one of GP and one of MO, with a few kg of specialty malt chucked in for good measure and balance.

This is one of the guys mash tuns, as we are doughing in... 110 pounds of base malt...
Doughing_in.jpg

We decided on Scottish ales, so we could get different styles out of the runnings. Ended up with 10g of Wee Heavy, 15g 80/-, 15g 70/- and 10g 60/- for a total of 55 gallons (~210L). Between six of us. The biggest travesty was that we were still running at 1.035 at the end of all that and probably could have gathered another 5g or so... but didn't have any spare fermenters. I'm a combination of ashamed to let another 5g of 60/- disappear, and staggered at the sheer volume of fermentables. We worked out we got about 78% efficiency out of the tun, which was more than the 70% we were aiming for.

Quick shot of some of the boilers in action - note there were another couple of 5g batches boiling away behind this. And yep, one of the guys has a brew trailer (lthough he was quick to point out, he has his small gear on it today...).
Boiling.jpg

Respect Ant - thats one monster of a brewday! 110lbs of base malt - I bet stirring all of that gave you popeye arms.
:beer:

Back