Perth Brewday Early Nov Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That yeast seems to have similar characteristics to 1968 which could mean it is a diacetyl producer, I wouldnt take it off the yeast cake too soon, better to bottle from primary than to rack.
Cheers GL :beer: . Fortunately I had a busy day,what seemed like chasing my tail, and didn't find time to rack before reading your post. I will keep giving it daily encouragement and wait until (minimum) next weekend before bottling.

If it does'nt drop by tomorrow night then I'll have to take a cricket bat to it.

Might wanna get a few of the cream-attired tourists from the mother country round for a bit of practice....they need it :ph34r:

Heya Guys,

Just racked to secondary after a week in primary, measured the SG = 1.008
it was really clear and tasted awesome!

if i leave it in secondary for a week what would i expect the FG to be or what should it be? (the OG=1.048)

Thanks Rob.

Rob if it's at 1.008 I would probaby say your done and won't get much more, the average mash temp was about 66-67C so there shoud be a few unfermentables left. And as GL says beware the dreaded diacetyl monster!!!. But if you are bottling then the secondary ferment should clear up any of that.

Pitched my yeast straight into a starter and it was off like a rocket within an hour. Certainly some healthy yeast in there. And ready to be pitched into a bitter tomorrow.

What size yeast sample was that?, one of the little tubes or a water bottle?

Hey Ausdb,

i've taken your guys advice and bottled the brew, was going to keg but i want to had a few out to my extract mates to show them what all grain is all about so bottles it is.

i'll let u know what i think in a week or two!

It was one of the water bottles, so there was a decent amount of yeast to start with.

Just pitched tonight, so will hopefully be going in the morning.

Piched my starter the morning after it was fermenting nicely away at 18c for first few days then i bumped it up to 20c. SG is currently sitting at 1010ish

It was one of the water bottles, so there was a decent amount of yeast to start with.

Just pitched tonight, so will hopefully be going in the morning.

Ooh thats brave, there should have been enough yeast there just to direct pitch. Every time I late pitch yeast is when I get into trouble :eek: fingers crossed nothing else has got a head start :unsure:

Ooh thats brave, there should have been enough yeast there just to direct pitch. Every time I late pitch yeast is when I get into trouble :eek: fingers crossed nothing else has got a head start :unsure:

Didn't really pitch that late. Made the starter on Wed. Brewed on Saturday, but was only able to chill to 30C with my immersion chiller. So whacked it in the fridge for several hours to get it down to 22C and then pitched the starter. Now it's sitting at 20C and is going along nicely.

Would really like it at 18C but my "custom fridge controller" ie flicking the fridge switch on every couple of hours :huh: doesn't work too well during the night. Can see a fridgemate coming in very handy.

Didn't really pitch that late. Made the starter on Wed. Brewed on Saturday, but was only able to chill to 30C with my immersion chiller. So whacked it in the fridge for several hours to get it down to 22C and then pitched the starter. Now it's sitting at 20C and is going along nicely.

Would really like it at 18C but my "custom fridge controller" ie flicking the fridge switch on every couple of hours :huh: doesn't work too well during the night. Can see a fridgemate coming in very handy.

Sorry a bit confused, I thought you had taken one of the fresh wort packs home! which would have definately been a late pitch

Just tasted the TTLL, and its at 1010, tasted great and alot more hoppy than the last time I had the commercial variety, but it smelt awful, ill give it 3 days at 18 fora DA rest, adn then bottle it.

Also AusDB, you are welcome to borrow my handpump to dispense this beer if you want,

Just tasted the TTLL, and its at 1010, tasted great and alot more hoppy than the last time I had the commercial variety, but it smelt awful, ill give it 3 days at 18 fora DA rest, adn then bottle it.

Also AusDB, you are welcome to borrow my handpump to dispense this beer if you want,

18C for a DA rest is not all that high let it come up to at least 22C. The smell of the Styrians is really strange at 1st I thought there was something wrong with it the last time I brewed it and this brew had a decent charge of them in the hopback so it may be more pronounced. It did die down after a few weeks.

Handpump, sounds good it would also be interesting to see the results of your repairs with hammer and blunt chisel and GL's duct tape :p

Thank you for the yeast sample ausdb. Made a 1.5 litre starter last night and tonight about 30% of the vessel volume is krausen. Lucky I didn't go for 2 litres :)

Cheers, Ed

I bottled my 'Ausdb Fresh Wort Kit' tonight - couldn't tell you the FG as I broke the freaking hydrometer........ No2 down. Tried the DIY beer engine(Large Bore Syringe) with the last bit in the fermenter and it tastes sensational. The yeast cake was quite firm with large(35dia.x2mm) Flocs or bits of krausen lurking about. I have only recently become acquainted with Styrians and I am getting a taste for them. Filled and capped 3 x TTLS bottles and will try to pull the wool on the father in law in a couple of weeks.

Cheers again Darryn :beer:

18C for a DA rest is not all that high let it come up to at least 22C. The smell of the Styrians is really strange at 1st I thought there was something wrong with it the last time I brewed it and this brew had a decent charge of them in the hopback so it may be more pronounced. It did die down after a few weeks.

Handpump, sounds good it would also be interesting to see the results of your repairs with hammer and blunt chisel and GL's duct tape :p

Worth noting for those brewing the AusDB fresh pack that with all those Styrians in the hop back, they will probably have an intense smell which is perfumy, vanilla, spice which can seem very nasty, depending on whether the hop back was freshly loaded for that cube. But after a few weeks that should reduce to an interesting spicy hint in the aroma, so dont get too concerned. Also note that there will be a "sweet spot" where the aroma has died back, but the hop flavour is still fresh, and in my opinion this will be the time to drink the lot, as these beers dont seem to age that well.

PS
Case I have my duct tape with me in Indonesia, I just repaired an automated weather station with it, but let me know if you need to borrow it when I get back.

PPS
AusDB - the "sweet spot" for your batch will be about 2 days after I get back.

GL,
No duct tape now required,

A short, but overly friendly email to the manufacturer in Blighty, and they sent me replacement parts, with their only request a meetup for a beer when the manufaturers reps are in town, march next year...and AHB gathering I suspect..

Heya Guys,

has any one drank any beer from this batch yet? i've had a couple of pints so far and a couple more are in the fridge cooling down, Just wondering if it is actually to early to be drinking it just yet? because i'm an AG n00b i don't actually know what its supposed to taste like it does have a slight odour to it and definately tastes grainy but i guess thats how its supposed to taste?

Thanks Rob.

I used my yeast sample in my standard pale ale recipe (usually wy1056). Have been keeping the wort at 19C and three times yesterday had to remove and clean the airlock. That is one stiff krausen.
The fermenter lid was looking like the roof of the Burswood dome. Ended taking the lid off at midnight and removing half the crud so I could get a restful night. It dropped 33 points in 68 hours so I'd better hurry up and drink a keg dry.

GL,
No duct tape now required,

A short, but overly friendly email to the manufacturer in Blighty, and they sent me replacement parts, with their only request a meetup for a beer when the manufaturers reps are in town, march next year...and AHB gathering I suspect..

Case, sounds like you will be hosting a Real Ale brew day / tasting day some time next year then. Any chance of negotiating some more handpumps!!!

Should have shown up at the Case Swap Vlad :D
It was taste tested against the original. Personally I prefer the AusDB version, it was lot more mellow at least to my tastebuds anyway.

Latest posts

Back