Perlick Shank Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im in the process of getting my fridge ready for paint, and ordering the perlicks w/shanks from the US, But i want to drill my holes for the taps/driptray before we start painting.

However, im not entertaining the idea of waiting for it all to arrive, BEFORE i drill and paint, the idea is (hopefully) have it drilled and painted asap, Then when the taps arrive, Simply mount, connect, and start pouring :-D

These are the taps/shanks

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scri...p?idProduct=144

Shank: http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scri...p?idproduct=150

I am under the impression that i will need a 21mm hole....Is this correct? Just wanted to double check. My pilot holes have already been drilled (~2mm) FYI

Cheers

PS: pics soon ;)

Hey Ben,

Is this through the wall of your fridge or a collar on a chest freezer?

The shanks I got for my perlicks were 7/8" in (outside) diameter or 22.something mm. So your best bet is to get a 24mm speedbor bit.

I just did this myself for my chest freezer. However mine was a little complicated. I bought shanks 3" that were just long enough for the wall of my wooden collar until I realised it didn't have a barbed hosetail fitting welded on for the beer line. So I need a John Guest fitting to screw on to the end which meant I didn't have enough room for the backnut. So, I measured the diameter of the backnut (36.6mm) and countersunk my hole on the inside of the collar before drilling the smaller hole. Only issue there was, it was a tight fit and I made the countersunk hole a little too deep and couldn't get in a spanner to tighten the backnut!!! But I managed to wedge a screwdriver in between the hex on the backnut and the cuntersunk hole so I that could tighten the shank/tap-assembly while keeping the backnut stationery.

Also, I stoopidly left the drill running a bit when I removed the bit from the hole on (the outside of) my painted collar and it makes a nasty mess.

imagefyu.jpg

But I guess that's why that have a little plastic cover:

imagetmh.jpg

imagexug.jpg

cheers!

D

EDIT: Mine were also from the farmhouse brewing shop

Mine is going straight into the fridge door. All lining has been removed and is clear....

I heard 7/8" was the size.... I just want it to be spot on before i paint the damm thing, last thing i want to be doing is expanding a hole on a newly painted fridge :-/ So you reckon definately go 24mm?

PS: looking at yours, i cannot WAIT to get mine in! Damm sexy tap!

i am also in process of ordering taps from farmhouse, just waiting for conformation on postage price.

a question i have is should i get the 425 perlick (removable spout), for extra $10 ?

Doug, thats the only difference i can see... Not a whole lot of point IMO, cleaning slightly easier... But apart from that...?

Although i could be wrong...? Is there any other difference?

Mine is going straight into the fridge door. All lining has been removed and is clear....

I heard 7/8" was the size.... I just want it to be spot on before i paint the damm thing, last thing i want to be doing is expanding a hole on a newly painted fridge :-/ So you reckon definately go 24mm?

PS: looking at yours, i cannot WAIT to get mine in! Damm sexy tap!

Definitely go 24mm - it'll give you a mm or so room and the backnut and front of the shank are plenty big to tighten over the hole.

It was like Christmas when I got the taps they are so sexy (actually, it was Christmas when I got the taps, which was nice)

i am also in process of ordering taps from farmhouse, just waiting for conformation on postage price.

a question i have is should i get the 425 perlick (removable spout), for extra $10 ?

I dunno whether it's really worth it; the spout on the 525 is pretty short and easy to clean. The 425 is just as sexy-lookin' - but whatever float's yer boat I suppose :)

Awesome Dan, Just on my way to organise the drip tray, then 24mm it is!

Cheers, I was literally looking at the 21mm last night going "should i or shouldnt i"

AHB saves the day again!

Cheers!

Holesaw will give a nicer hole. Start from one side and go in half way then flip it around the other side and continue. A neat hole on both sides...

No worries Ben - hope it all works out!

Holesaw will give a nicer hole. Start from one side and go in half way then flip it around the other side and continue. A neat hole on both sides...

I couldn't agree more, it's clear my hole couldn't be much uglier! :p

The only issue with mine was I have a 42mm thick pine collar and I wasn't sure that a hole saw would be deep enough - but with a fridge I'm sure it'll be cool

As Malted says, holesaws do the best job. Forget what size I used (either 21mm or 22mm) but it gave the Perlick shanks a nice neat fit which is what you want.
Sav will probably remember the holesaw size (I borrowed them) if you PM him or he sees this post.

TP

I would have thought a step drill?

(note: I've never drilled through a fridge)

Ok, Hole saw is ready to go, IM honestly having trouble deciding how far apart for my taps...

FYI: Fridge is 630mm wide... Pilot hole is smack on 315mm... I contempleted coming in 133 from each side, But i feel they will be too far apart, hence, making the drip tray size a PITA...

Just curious, How close are your taps? And how close is too close?

Cheers
Ben

Ok, Hole saw is ready to go, IM honestly having trouble deciding how far apart for my taps...

FYI: Fridge is 630mm wide... Pilot hole is smack on 315mm... I contempleted coming in 133 from each side, But i feel they will be too far apart, hence, making the drip tray size a PITA...

Just curious, How close are your taps? And how close is too close?

Cheers
Ben

With my fridge, erm kegerator, I thought I could fit in three kegs so I put on three taps. I looked at the size of glasses I would commonly use; say you have a pint sitting there whilst pouring another, to help decide on the spacings. But really this isn't probably going to happen very often. So all that aside, what sized drip tray do you reckon you'd want (what would look good on the fridge) and how many taps do you reckon you'll want (i read your post as being three?)- to a large extent that will determine the spacing of the taps. You don't want them so close as to bust your knuckles nor too far apart that it looks odd. I recklon a larger drip tray is better than one that is barely wide enough. So you're planning 260mm centre to centre of your outside taps? I'd go a 500mm tray maybe? Visually that would give you about 90mm outwards from the tap collar to the edge of the tray and 65mm to the fridge edge. That's a lot of the fridge covered by the tray.

You could probably come a bit closer to the centre pilot hole. Mark two dots on a piece of paper and form your hands as fists on these two dots. How far apart are your fists? What feels to be a comfortable distance apart? My fists could easliy go in to 100mm apart. That would give 200mm between centre to centre of outside taps and maybe get away with a 400mm tray and 115mm either side of the tray to the outside of the door edge. I don't remember my kegerator measurements but am just looking at my hands on a piece of paper.

Also a removable drip tray is good for cleaning (rather than permanently fixed). I have some screws into the fridge skin that keyholes on the drip tray fit over.

Size of hole: I think I drilled mine at 21mm and it is quite snug; when I poke the shanks back in I sometimes get a bit of the insulation foam on the threads and on the end; therefor maybe too snug given the foam etc. However it would probably nice and neat through a timber structure.

Re: holesaw and depth of cut - you can cut twice as deep as it would appear, by cutting half from each side. They will still get tearout on the exit side (particulalry if there is plastic on the inside of the door) if you poke them through all the way from one side only. To reduce tearout you need to attack the hole from both sides. You can do the same with a spade bit in timber (reduce tearout by attacking from both sides) if you have a pilot hole for it to follow...

Re: stepped bit in a fridge door. Stepped bits are better for thin material. In thicker material they are not going to give a smooth bore hole, i.e tapered. In theory you could use a stepper bit on both the inside skin and the outside skin and poke the inner foam out with a screwdriver or tool of you choice. They may also shatter the plastic of the door inner if you leave it on and drill though it like i did.

At any rate, don't drill the plastics whilst it is cold, let it reach room temp before drilling.

Cheapest holesaws I have seen in Adelaide are the tradetools brand from Gasweld - about $10 for the holesaw, the arbour is about $15. Or since I am almost around the corner from you, you could borrow mine if you want and see how far apart my taps.

Edit: oops looks like you already have a holesaw.

How much is postage from the states? I'd like to get 4 but at close to $180 it may have to wait a while. I assume that the extra $3 for the tailpiece, nut & washer on the shank is required.

How much room do the shanks take up inside the fridge? I can get 4 kegs in my fridge easily enough but it doesn't leave much room between the door & the front 2 kegs. I could have the taps up higher than the top of the kegs but it's a fridge with the (hop) freezer at the bottom so having them that high would make it tough for short people to pour beers & may mean that I'd have to pour beers for them.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, I can take photos & post them tomorrow if I'm not making sense.

I drilled my holes at 27mm and bought a meter of 21mm ID pipe to use as sleeves cut the pipe about 3 mm shorter than the thickness of the door to keep the tap tight without dinting the door.
I would have been fckd if I hadn't as you can see in the pic 1 tap symmetrically lined up in a problem area.

Latest posts

Back