Peristaltic Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_w

Reaction score
Evening everyone.
Here are a few basic drawings of my pump. Measurements may have slightly altered. (can't remember) I have posted pics of this before and a few people have asked for a bit more info.
I cut and drilled mine on a 1500 x 1500 CNC router I have, but i'm sure it would be possible with hand tools.
I have only tested it with a variable speed drill once and it worked great. It will be attatched to a geared motor eventually. So i don't
have any flow rates as yet.

gallery_4393_159_53707.jpg

The Pumps main components consist of.

* 2 x Rotor case - 20mm black Nylon
* 2 x Cover - 10mm perspex
* 2 x rotor - 3mm steel
* 3 x rotor wheels - 20 x 20 nylon
* 2 x 25mm bearings 10mm shafts

heres the bmp's.
View attachment Peristaltic_Pump.zip

If anyone wants the actual cad files please pm me.
Cheers.

What type of silicone tubing did you end up using, the hosefor Peristaltic Pumps is normally $$$$ expensive.

Impressive.
How would tripling the number of hoses in the pump - one on top of the other, and tripling the height of the rollers go do you think - in order to up the flow rate?

What is a CNC Router as opposed to a regular Router?

Impressive.
How would tripling the number of hoses in the pump - one on top of the other, and tripling the height of the rollers go do you think - in order to up the flow rate?

What is a CNC Router as opposed to a regular Router?

Yeah that could work, would take alot of torque to drive it, I would like to use alot larger tube, the flow rate seemed to be around 50l min but the drill was really humming along, dont think the tube would last long at that speed.

CNC
-Computer
-Numeric
-Control

So i just import my cads and it moves a router around a XYZ, cutting out my parts ( another hobby I had before I discovered beer)

The engineering looks good Jonathon. What have you used for rotor bearings. I should imagine there would be a fair degree of lateral thrust on them and in the foto they just look like nylon

The engineering looks good Jonathon. What have you used for rotor bearings. I should imagine there would be a fair degree of lateral thrust on them and in the foto they just look like nylon

Tony,
The rotor rollers are just nylon without bearings of any type, I would like to have some type of crush tube in them, but for simplicity they just have an 8mm hole and a recessed hole for the cap haed. Seems to work ok. But i was thinking of actuall using 6 ball bearings, use two for each roller, just need to get them around the thickness of the flattened tube.

Doubt you'd find a ball bearing that wide, needle bearing on the other hand...

See someone's playing with Inventor.

Doubt you'd find a ball bearing that wide, needle bearing on the other hand...

See someone's playing with Inventor.

Yeah if you put a couple together it would be ok, or machined them either end into a tube.

Inventor, couldn't live without it.

Tony,
The rotor rollers are just nylon without bearings of any type, I would like to have some type of crush tube in them, but for simplicity they just have an 8mm hole and a recessed hole for the cap haed. Seems to work ok. But i was thinking of actuall using 6 ball bearings, use two for each roller, just need to get them around the thickness of the flattened tube.

I didn't explain myself properly. I'm happy with the tube rollers, they would do their job. Its the bearings on the drive shaft I'm a little concerned about. In the photo they just look like a disc of nylon and I would be concerned about their longevity.

I didn't explain myself properly. I'm happy with the tube rollers, they would do their job. Its the bearings on the drive shaft I'm a little concerned about. In the photo they just look like a disc of nylon and I would be concerned about their longevity.
Ah ha, there are 2 ball bearings with 25 od and 10mm id machined there thickness of 7mm into the 10mm perspex for the main shaft. Hard to see.

Hey brissy,
Using your 1/2 inch silicon tube.
Wow that kind of surprises me.
I know Jye has tested the my silicone hose but found it too thick for his pump, and not sure but I think somebody else did and reported all splitting due to the hardness and thickness of the silicone tube walls. You can get different types with different elasticity and hardness, not to mention all thickness tube wall thickness. I went for this type of tubing so it would not collapse easily, basically it had all the properties that are normally not desirable for peristaltic pumps.

I will look on with interest regarding durability and how long it lasts. How have you tested it out yet, and how many RPMs are you running it at.

It was me that used the silicone tubing (not yours though, a softer one) in the peristaltic pumps that I sell.
The trouble was, that when using it for filtering beer that was at 0c - 4c the tube became to hard & split. Though I believe Jye uses a silicone tube & has had no problems to date. I tried several tubes before settling on noprene tubing, which really is the tube I'd recommend to build your pump around. the specs are below for those interested:

Noprene - Formulated to withstand the high temperatures frequently occurring during food & beverage processing, Norprene Food Process Tubing will outlast & outperform virtually all other food grade tubing. Even following extended exposure to heat & ozone, it will not crack or deteriorate as commonly found when using traditional tubings.
Extremely flexible, it resists kinks & retains its shape while installing quickly & easily. Its excellent flexural fatigue resistance makes it the absolute best choice for use in peristaltic pumps. It exhibits excellent resistance to UV light, with little or no signs of deterioration in laboratory testing to the equivalent of 10 years of outdoor exposure.
Temperature resistant from -60c to 135c
Repeatedly autoclavable, it can be steam cleaned in place, eliminating the need for frequent tube replacing. When harsh sanitising solutions are used, it exhibits exceptional chemical resistance & is compatible with virtually all common sanitisers & cleaners.

cheers Ross

BB I just gave mashmasters tubing ago with the new motor and turns ok. Wont be able to test it out filtering since I dont have enough... maybe you can hook me up and Ill run some trials for you ;)

Here is the info on mine.

Noprene, Thanks Ross , I will look into it.

I have read some of the bigger pumps use a type of lubrication on the tube and rollers to stop
friction.

Thats a nice looking pump jye , that dial in the middle is for adjusting the gap i take it?

Latest posts

Back