Perc/Met solution and worms,

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
Hi all. I was just washing out my fermenter this arvo, it was full of water and Sodium perc and met solution. It had been soaking overnight and as I was cleaning it I was letting the liquid go onto the lawn. I looked down and there were worms crawling all over the place! What's going on there!? Great way to collect bait.[emoji476]

If you mix sodium percarbonate and metabisulphite you get sodium sulphate*. I know that ammonium sulphate is bad for worms, perhaps sodium sulphate is too.

* this is a classic case of neutralisation: whilst each has an antimicrobial function, they cancel each others' modes of action so the mixture is useless.

Last edited:
people really need to not shorten their chemicals.
home brewers use both Sodium metabisulphite and Sodium metasilicate.

True that.

If you mix sodium percarbonate and metasilicate you get an excellent cleaner for red wine stains.

I noticed the worm thing yesterday while emptying a 100L wine barrel that had been filled with a solution containing sodium metabisulfite and acid. Poor little buggers.

Hi all. I was just washing out my fermenter this arvo, it was full of water and Sodium perc and met solution. It had been soaking overnight and as I was cleaning it I was letting the liquid go onto the lawn. I looked down and there were worms crawling all over the place! What's going on there!? Great way to collect bait.[emoji476]

Take some to the beach and what you save on blood worms you can spend on beer.

It was sodium percobonate and Sodium metasilicate. It didn't kill them. They wriggled across the surface and back into the lawn away from the area.

Back