PC temprature logging & control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Does anyone us a PC to log temp..?

Looking at a system that will log and control temps using a PC, most likeky USB multi channel. Looking for a system that doesnt cost hundreds of $$$.

Any ideas guys.

Hey Stu,

Have a read through my Brewton thread. I use a USB data acquisition device to control mash temps, but I had to wire up the temp sensors to the USB board, and write all the software to read temps from the board (not that hard as it is built-in to the board firmware) and then control output on the board to fire a solid state relay to fire hearing element.

I also wrote some software to control ferment temps which worked quite well but I have fallen back to using STC-1000's to control ferment and beer fridge. A dedicated device is more reliable than my software at this stage. STC handles power outages and the software needed to be manually started. All able to be over-come, but I haven't got around to it yet.

If you just wanted to buy something that worked, then I don't have any suggestions. He he

Cheers,
Angus.

Looking for something a bit more fancy. Idealy multi channel that can also do temp ramps, ie control a temp increase of say 10*c over 30mins

I use a Raspi which can work directly with 1-wire devices such as DS18B20 temp sensors.
I think as long as the power is adequate there is not really a limit to how many of these devices you can use.
I also use the USB temper devices but the 1-wire are lower priced and more accurate.

example

test.png

If you're familiar with arduino, RaspPi, etc, you should be able to achieve everything you want with them (I am playing around with PIC32s, similar low-level system) regarding sensor measurements and recording. If you need that data on a PC, an Ethernet/serial/USB connection would take care of that - of course, you would need software on the PC to record and store that data.

If you're not quite so familiar, you can probably buy (or assemble/program from tutorial) arduino-or-other-based data loggers.

MCHammo said:
If you're familiar with arduino, RaspPi, etc, you should be able to achieve everything you want with them (I am playing around with PIC32s, similar low-level system) regarding sensor measurements and recording. If you need that data on a PC, an Ethernet/serial/USB connection would take care of that - of course, you would need software on the PC to record and store that data.

If you're not quite so familiar, you can probably buy (or assemble/program from tutorial) arduino-or-other-based data loggers.
When investigating this, Arduino was the first thought but by the time you add on an ethernet shield for comms and if you don't have a web server to host the images then the Raspi was a better choice.
It is not controlling the temp though which if it was I would look at an Arduino or other real-time option possibly connected to a Raspi like the BrewPi.

anthonyUK said:
When investigating this, Arduino was the first thought but by the time you add on an ethernet shield for comms and if you don't have a web server to host the images then the Raspi was a better choice.
It is not controlling the temp though which if it was I would look at an Arduino or other real-time option possibly connected to a Raspi like the BrewPi.
Very true. I use PIC32s myself, so I can handle communications through a serial port (with a level translator) or by USB (which I have not tried yet, but most of my PICs have a USB module onboard). Much more fiddling around than arduino or RPi in designing circuitry, but that's just another hobby of mine.

May be this will be of interest to you, https://brewbit.com

For nuffies like me it should be good but expensive. Might give you some inspiration though??

Model-T is a wireless temperature controller, which can track up to two separate temperature streams and control up to two devices, independently of each other; all the while logging temperature data

Back