PBW rinse with Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hi,

I was washing a keg yesterday before transfer and first I washed it with PBW and then rinsed with Starsan. I normally rinse the PBW with water before sanitizing with Starsan.
Do you think there will be any issues if I didn't rinse the PBW first before sanitizing? Should I expect off-flavors or possibly a poisonous beverage?

Thanks
Blitzer

Going to depend on how much PBW was left in the keg.
PBW is a blend of Sodium Metasilicate and Sodium Percarbonate, the Percarbonate reacts with water to make O2 and Sodium Carbonate.
Sodium Carbonate (AKA Washing Soda) is very basic (Alkaline) it will react with the acid in the Starsan and there goes your acid sanitiser.
Unless you left large amounts of either or both in the keg, you shouldn't notice much if any flavour change. Percarbonate acts as a cleaner and steriliser so odds on the Starsan was just a belt and braces option and you probably wont get much increased risk of infections either. Still not best practice (but you knew that).
Personally I use something similar to PBW (BBW) and a jug of boiling water, about the only thing I regard as truly no rinse (well peroxide is up there to).
Mark

Highly likely you won’t have any issues, why did you not rinse with water in between?

I unfortunately just forgot, I was in too much of a rush. I doubt I will make this a repeat occurence, just want to check if it's worth giving the current beer a taste or tipping it out.

I agree with Mark about no-rinse. The kettle is my best buddy in rinsing away meta-k (temporary fermenter storage). Sodium percarbonate is something I wouldn't want at any amount in my beer. I even rinse Phos-acid solution out of bottles with water before filling. Maybe that sodium carbonate stuff would after a while prevent kidney stones (joke).

Latest posts

Back