Party Beer Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammo7

Reaction score
Hey all.
Looking to quickly smash out a couple of beers for a party in 3 weeks time.
I have limited specialty Grains, a lot of different hops, limited yeast.
I would like to put down 3 in 2 days.
Currently fermenting a Dr Smurto's GA, and a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.

I would really like to do an American Wheat and also a English Ordinary Bitter, but not sure on the specialty grains. I was just going to chuck in the last of my caramunich 1 (approx 200g) with 4.8 kg maris otter and ferment with the windsor.
And do a 50/50 Pils/wheat malt and ferment it out with American Ale (to avoid the Banana clove) to keep the masses happy.

I also want to do a big hoppy beer, I have shitloads of cascade this will mainly be for the hopheads, it just might have to be a SMaSH.

I will be filtering and kegging, so the timeline should be OK.

Thanks in advance guys.

Base:
JW Pilsner
JW trad Ale
Crisp maris otter
JW wheat malt

Specialty:
Caramunich 1
Munich 1
Vienna
Melanoidin

Hops:
Northern Brewer
Saaz
Cascade
Tettnang
Amarillo
EKG
Citra
Southern Cross

Yeast are:
American Ale (Wyeast)
Windsor (dry)
Czech Pilsner (wyeast) - (obvioulsy won't be using this)
London Ale (wyeast)
WB-06

For the swill drinkers:

JW Pilsener + melanoidin, saaz & tettnang at 60/20 split to 20 IBU. Use american ale yeast at uber low temp (14-15 degrees - yes it works, I've done it). This will knock out a nice easy to drink beer.

As for the hop heads - 91% Maris Otter and 9% mix of munich/caramunich/vienna.

Get the Amarillo, Citra and Cascade (my just finished keg was Galaxy, Citra, Cascade and was excellent). enough hops at 30 minutes to get you to 15IBU, and then shedload at 10 minutes to another 15-25 IBU (total beer 30-40IBU).

London Ale or Windsor (though if Windsor, I'd be pushing to 45-50 IBU to counter the higher terminal gravity).

Whatever Cascade is leftover - dry hop (my last was 50g as a 30/20g split of citra and cascade).

Yum.......

Goomba

Hey all.
Looking to quickly smash out a couple of beers for a party in 3 weeks time.
I have limited specialty Grains, a lot of different hops, limited yeast.
I would like to put down 3 in 2 days.
Currently fermenting a Dr Smurto's GA, and a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.

I would really like to do an American Wheat and also a English Ordinary Bitter, but not sure on the specialty grains. I was just going to chuck in the last of my caramunich 1 (approx 200g) with 4.8 kg maris otter and ferment with the windsor.
And do a 50/50 Pils/wheat malt and ferment it out with American Ale (to avoid the Banana clove) to keep the masses happy.

I also want to do a big hoppy beer, I have shitloads of cascade this will mainly be for the hopheads, it just might have to be a SMaSH.

I will be filtering and kegging, so the timeline should be OK.

Thanks in advance guys.

Base:
JW Pilsner
JW trad Ale
Crisp maris otter
JW wheat malt

Specialty:
Caramunich 1
Munich 1
Vienna
Melanoidin

Hops:
Northern Brewer
Saaz
Cascade
Tettnang
Amarillo
EKG
Citra
Southern Cross

Yeast are:
American Ale (Wyeast)
Windsor (dry)
Czech Pilsner (wyeast) - (obvioulsy won't be using this)
London Ale (wyeast)
WB-06

American wheat is a great easy drinker. I usually go

56% Ale ( whatever ya got )
38% Wheat
2.7% each carahell and biscuit.

bittering hop at 60 for 12 IBU

cascade and columbus at 10 mins to 12 IBU

24 IBU

US05.

Keg don't last long.

A Belgian Dubbel with the EKG and the Pils and the Munich and the WB06 @ 20C.

Thanks guys, although, Nick, what will I tell the masses the dubbel is? They won't drink it!!

For the swill drinkers:

JW Pilsener + melanoidin, saaz & tettnang at 60/20 split to 20 IBU. Use american ale yeast at uber low temp (14-15 degrees - yes it works, I've done it). This will knock out a nice easy to drink beer.

As for the hop heads - 91% Maris Otter and 9% mix of munich/caramunich/vienna.

Get the Amarillo, Citra and Cascade (my just finished keg was Galaxy, Citra, Cascade and was excellent). enough hops at 30 minutes to get you to 15IBU, and then shedload at 10 minutes to another 15-25 IBU (total beer 30-40IBU).

London Ale or Windsor (though if Windsor, I'd be pushing to 45-50 IBU to counter the higher terminal gravity).

Whatever Cascade is leftover - dry hop (my last was 50g as a 30/20g split of citra and cascade).

Yum.......

Goomba

:icon_offtopic:

Goomba how was the Citra to dry hop? I have a pack of citra im yet to use.

My go to party beers are normally a blonde ale fermented in the lower temps. Normally appreciated.

Citra's good to dry hop - citrus flavour, but not in an orange sherbert manner. It's quite refreshing and doesn't suffer from grassiness that some other hops (notably Galaxy) do when dry hopped.

Goomba

Mmm Citra dry is awesome, actually anything less than 10 mins is where it is at. The beer I have on tap has matured into mango/piney mayhem with all the hops addeded at 10mins in an APA. I am looking forward to the new 2011 cropage.

Latest posts

Back