Partial Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Hi there

i have brewed a number of extract APA etc, using liquid malt extract (light), crystal malt and hops. i am limited with the equipment i use (being a 9-10 litre stock pot for boiling and steeping the grains)

i tend to use a stocking to steep the chrystal malt grains, before boiling the resulting liquid with the hops and some of the LME.

is it possible to do the same with gains (ie 1KG in a number of stockings). if so, what is the water to grain ratio??

i am keen to replace some of the LME with grains, or should i just forget it until i get myself some more brewing equipment (which wont be for over a year yet, dont ask!)

i like my extract brews, but just want that little extra...

cheers

avit

G'Day Avit,

Seems like we are at a similar place in our brewing journey.

Go to a good HBS and buy a reusable grain bag. They aren't cheap, mine was about $14. But it's the single best bit of brewing gear I have. I easily put a full KG of grain in a 5 litre pot, and it's wide enough to fold over the handles of the pot to stay in place. Now I'm thinking of going to 2 kg, or 1-1/2 kg at least.

While you're there buy a metal backed thermometer, one with a hook to go over the side of the pot if you can.

I find these 2 items indespensible in my partial mashes.

From another post here courtesy of Mr Connery:
"As a guide I steep in 2L of water per kilo of grain, so that it is close to mashing levels,
but with smaller amounts use 1-2L minimum"

The issue I see with multiple small stockings is difficulty in stirring. At some point you will end up needing to add heat to your mash, and one important word I found when re-reading my Palmer book was when adding heat to a mash to stir CONTINUOUSLY.

I also believe ( subject to experts on this forum ) that heating grains from around 40 deg up to your target temp is better than just dumping them into hot water.

Mate, if you're doing 100% extract brews than you can handle a partial mash no worries, go for it.

Cheers Robbo

thanks for the info..

so if i was to do say 2KG i should mash with approximately 4 litres..

i can probably get away with doing a miximum boil of about 8 litres, so i guess 2kg will be fine..

no doubt i will find something else to ask in the next few days...

cant wait to start it..

avit

You can use this material called nylon muslin (think it's nylon).

it can be a bit slow at getting the liquid out, but it's really cheap from material shops such as spotlight, and sew to fit. also good if you want to make hop bags.

There are some pretty good APA pertial recipes out there.

Here's a shot of my equipment :wub: . Forget about bags.

mystuff.JPG

1: 9 litre Decor food storage from Woolies $12
2: L'esky
3: big strainer Crazy Clarks or whatever two dollar store $4
4: Small Stockpot
5: 10K stockpot two dollar store $12

You will of course need a thermometer, electric jugs (get two onto the job), stirrer etc.

Say you are mashing at 65 degrees:

In the esky, using your jugs, prepare a water bath at just below 70
In the Decor container put 2 kilos of milled malt grain plus whatever specialties like crystal malt
Bring two jugs of 'strike' water to around 80 degrees and pour into small stockpot.
Bring a jug of water to the boil and the second one to 65

OK ready?

Now check the small stockpot. You are looking for strike water of around 74 degrees. It should have cooled to this extent but bump it up using the boiling jug if necessary.

Double check the water bath in the esky and adjust.

Pour the strike liquor (water) from the small stockpot into the Decor, stirring. Put into water bath. Check temp and adjust to 65, you will probably need to dribble boiling water in. When temp is stable at 65 top up to about 10 cm from the top of the Decor with the 65 jug and stir.

Triple check that you have 65 in the mash and up to 70 in the water bath.

Seal down esky lid tight.
Check after half an hour and using fresh boiling water adjust the water bath and the mash.

After an hour:

Split the mash equally between the Decor and the small stock pot. Stir some boiling water in each to halt the mash activity.

Fit strainer to large stockpot, pour in half the mash and let it drain in.
Tip mash back into container it came from and flood with a jug of very hot water and let it sit
Meanwhile pour the second half of the mash into the strainer and let it drain.
Tip it back into whatever container, flood with hot water and let it sit
Meanwhile pour the SECOND RUNNINGS from the first container into the strainer....keep going, you get the idea

You will end up with about three quarters of a 10L container full of wort, bring to boil (stovetop you will have already been doing this from the first run), do hop additions - flowers are the go - and go for at least an hour. Put grains in compost.

Actually I try to do a third runnings if possible to get the last goodness out of the grain but that\'s just a bonus.

At the end of the boil the volume will have got back to about three quarters. Fit the big strainer to the fermenter and very carefully (occupational health and safety ;) ) strain the wort through the hop flower bed into the fermenter in which you will already have put your dissolved LMDE, beer kit, whatever.

Mate its a couple of hours work extra compared to K&K but you will be amazed at the results.

Cheers

Edit: hey I just noticed you are in the UK - if you have about sixty quid to spare why not get a BruHeat

http://www.thebrewmart.com/bruheat-mashing...er-i602071.html
(not available in Aus ) from your LHBS and you can start all grain like tomorrow you lucky ba%tard :D :D

Back