Painting My Keg Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
"That's a sorry lookin' keg fridge you got there!"
"I spose it could use a... coat of paint"

This modified quote from an episode of the Simpsons (can you guess which one?) was going through my head as I looked around and bought the required paint from the hardware store. This is a thread to chronicle the journey of me painting my fridge, with a huge hope that the compressor won't die in the next six months.

First, here's a pic of my fridge as it stood before.

IMGP0060__Small_.JPG

This is the pattern I will be basing my design on-

45_20Optical_20Illusion_20Weaving__Small_.jpg

I am making the vertical lines wavy, not the horizontal.

So, here's my undercoat paint and colour paint

IMGP0085__Small_.JPG
IMGP0086__Small_.JPG

Here's the beginnings of my work. I decided to start on the freezer door then work to the larger door. I haven't bought the laquer, but that'll be on the shopping list once I've finished the freezer door.

IMGP0087__Small_.JPG

This is the first time I've done something like this, so it's all a steep learning curve! Any suggestions to help make it easier would be appreciated. More pictures to come!

"Gonna paint your wagon, gonna paint it good,
Gonna use an oil based paint,
'Cuz it's not made of wood"

So is the second piccy on it's side, or have I fallen over. :blink:

This should be a real good way for you to get over a thousand posts in a hurry :angry:

So are we playing chess :unsure:

need strong magnets for the pieces! :p

Yeah, it's supposed to look like that... I'm hoping for something a little... different.

P&C as a spraypainter by trade there is one thing that must be followed.
"Preparation is the Key"
you cant just paint on a surface without the proper preparation eg sanding.cleaning,existing paint type.
Remember to use a good quality paint most fridges are powder coated or sprayed with an enamel from factory,give it a good sand with P600-P800 wet and dry,then clean with wax and grease remover.
let us know if you need any more tips will you be spraying or using a brush.

Another way of making it easier is instead of using paint use some Black Vinyl contact or equivalent apply to the door and then using a stencil knife cut the unwanted areas away.This way you can always peel it off at a later date.

Franko

I like the wavey checkerboard design P&K do you stop driinking when they become square ? :blink:

Pumpy :)

This is the first time I've done something like this, so it's all a steep learning curve! Any suggestions to help make it easier would be appreciated. More pictures to come!

Something to think about ... if you make the design too "busy", you may lose the impact of your hardware (taps, drip tray etc)? :unsure:

...that's what happened a bit with mine linky ;)

I'm using a brush; never been the best with spray paint (I tried to use it when I made my guitar, and it didn't go well :) ).

P&C..
Quite a project that..on baked enamel..with oil base paint..Needs to be Sanded at least
where u paint (especialy your design) Looks impressive..but..
Why not get an old lace table cloth..from OP Shop..Stretch it over..Can of enamel and spray
through cloth ...Can use different colours to give an effect..
Cheers
PJ.....Ex painter..

I too am in the midle of a fridge project here is what it looks like when I bought it for $20

gallery_1472_31_30765.jpg

Heres progress so far stripped back to bare metal

gallery_1472_31_33518.jpg

And here's what it should look like when Im done

gallery_1472_31_24633.jpg

Will be a little while before its all done got that many projects not to mention that many more labels left to do

Franko

You must have been working on that for a while Franko I remember seeing that sanded door in a post a long while ago :)

My keg fridge got a coat of blackboard paint, I must have spent an hour with sandpaper, and got rid of about 5 square cm of whatever paint/enamel was on it before, so I went a bought a wire brush for the drill, was quicker, not quick enough though, I gave up and clean, painted with a primer then blackboard spraycan, no woes yet...wasn't really meant to be too classy though :p

Your not wrong there Sammus

I use a 6-7 inch P60 sandpaper with a rubber backing plate on a electric drill

You must have been working on that for a while Franko I remember seeing that sanded door in a post a long while ago :)

My keg fridge got a coat of blackboard paint, I must have spent an hour with sandpaper, and got rid of about 5 square cm of whatever paint/enamel was on it before, so I went a bought a wire brush for the drill, was quicker, not quick enough though, I gave up and clean, painted with a primer then blackboard spraycan, no woes yet...wasn't really meant to be too classy though :p

You can buy a special primer from paint shops that will stick to just about anything, like tiles, glass etc. Just used some to paint an old kitchen that had horrible brown laminates cupboard doors. Painted over the top of this primer with an enamel paint & it came up a treat. :super:

Can't remember the name of the stuff, may have to go out to the garage & have a look.

Cheers
Low hang'n

P&C..
As Franko said you need to prepare it ..you have picked a very hard design..looks good ..
Do not use masking tape.. only a Durex type low tack..or as Franko said a contact and
cut it out to your design..(and paint sparingly on any edges)(Dunno how you will get all those
squares..etc..otherwise)
Franko..
Looks like my old Hot rod your Fridge..
Cheers
PJ

Poppa Joe
Thats what I used to paint for a living (Hot Rods) a while ago that is.

Batz,
its actually not rust but some stained paintwork

Franko..
Painting Hotrods is easier than fridges..Been doing cars for 45 yrs...No trouble..
Fridges..another story..
P&C...
Best of luck with fridge..Always some one out here to guide you.
Cheers
PJ

Back