Paddy's Brewery !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of going down to Paddy's Hotel on Parramatta Rd, Flemington (NSW) last night. Tried all the beers brewed in-house, and I have to say that these are spectacular examples of how beer should taste. Anyone in the area, you owe it to yourself to pop in, even for a quick schooner. And at $4 each, its certainly more comforting on the wallet than the city boutique bars.

Hard to say what i enjoyed most (they do Pilsener, PA, IPA, Wheat, Choc Porter,and a lite beer) but I think I was most impressed with the IPA, with the awesome grain flavour. Grain flavour in beer ?! Who would have thought :)

For anyone that might have been there in the past, dont judge your experiences on that - the beers are heaps better now. I will force myself down there again soon, because i still have a few free beer vouchers from the trivia night. Might even catch the head brewer next time and see if I can get some yeast ! :)

mmmm free yeast slurry with every ipa & pale ale .... on thurs *

* 1st in 1st served
** nice beers too :) Good work Gerard ! nice ipa & pale ale !

mmmm free yeast slurry with every ipa & pale ale .... on thurs *

* 1st in 1st served
** nice beers too :) Good work Gerard ! nice ipa & pale ale !
I managed to get caught up with the Pilsner and talking to Gerard on my lunch break today :icon_cheers:

Looking forward to trying some more beers in the near future.

Brewing an Ordinary Bitter tonight which will get the yeast slurry tomorrow.

$4 schooners @ Paddy's & skimpy waitress to bring us our drinks!
Missed the yeast this time but we shall return :)
James

I was there on Saturday night at about 10pm and there was literally 5 people in the joint !?!

Choc porter was my fav.

I was there on Saturday night at about 10pm and there was literally 5 people in the joint !?!

Choc porter was my fav.

Should have come down at 12pm on Saturday Benny, there were more than that just from AHB!

Choc Porter is very nice, looking forward to many more next time when I'm not driving...

Should have come down at 12pm on Saturday Benny, there were more than that just from AHB!

Choc Porter is very nice, looking forward to many more next time when I'm not driving...

yeah mate that was the plan but then i got invited to the rugby :icon_chickcheers:

Choc porter was my fav.

That is pretty good numbers for a Saturday night. If they have the band playing the joint is empty by 10pm!
Cheers
Gerard

next friday should be fun, im taking my work there. ill post the outcome.

Was lucky enough to be working in my own state this week and made it to the big town today with a mate from Darwin. we decided to make Paddy's the lunching venue, and I have to say I'm glad we did!

We met Gerard poking around his baby on the way in and struck up a convo. Gerard took us to the taps and gave us some samplers of his work. First was his unleaded, very impressive flavour profile and body for the light beer it is, I didn't mind it...

Next up we had his Pils.. Really great malt backbone and a very clean finish. a nice easy drinking Pils you could have a gallon bucket of and then line up for another... Next up we had a sample of Gerard's IPA. A little different from your run of the mill big hopped IPA with some grassy notes from the Fuggles. Gerard mentioned that it's maybe been in the keg a little too long, but I didn't mind it anyway.

Lastly was what I reckon is Gerard's signature beer, The Dark Horse (an incarnation of the Dirty Angel). Wow! I tried this beer in Warrnambool last year and liked it, but I think this version may even be better. If you're in Sydney, do yourself a favour and get out there just for this beer alone.... most impressive. I was really pissed that I chose to drive because we both could have settled in for a session of this at $4 a schooner

By the way, the steaks were bloody great too! A 500g rib eye cooked to perfection on the bone with fresh salad and pasta for $20

Cheers for the hospitality, Gerard, and for an insight into your beers and plans for the brewery, much appreciated and this satisfied customer will be spreading the word and back for more

Was lucky enough to be working in my own state this week and made it to the big town today with a mate from Darwin. we decided to make Paddy's the lunching venue, and I have to say I'm glad we did!

We met Gerard .. Really great Wow! do yourself a favour and get out there just for this alone.... most impressive.

Cheers for the hospitality, Gerard, and for an insight into your beers and plans for the brewery, much appreciated and this satisfied customer will be spreading the word and back for more

Good to see you enjoyed your afternoon :icon_cheers:
Cheers
Gerard

Just noticed on their website that Gerard has finally organised the brewery showcase he talked about back on the tasting day in May. It's on the 10th October from noon, 14 taps, 9 breweries I believe; correct me if I am wrong Gerard.

I missed the tasting night last weekend sorry Gerard, how did it go? I will be there in October though, and I'll bring my dad, it is his birthday that day.

On a different note how long do you expect the new bolter to be on tap?

Cheers Jason.

I like Gerards beer it was a good night,

Barls was a hoot

Pumpy :)

I like Gerards beer it was a good night,

Barls was a hoot

Pumpy :)
it was a damn good night,
thanks goes to gerard for the lift home.
btw im still in trouble for that night.

Just noticed on their website that Gerard has finally organised the brewery showcase he talked about back on the tasting day in May. It's on the 10th October from noon, 14 taps, 9 breweries I believe; correct me if I am wrong Gerard.

I missed the tasting night last weekend sorry Gerard, how did it go? I will be there in October though, and I'll bring my dad, it is his birthday that day.

On a different note how long do you expect the new bolter to be on tap?

Cheers Jason.

Not just 9 breweries, but 9 brewers pouring the beers!

The Dark Horse will be on tap until we get through 10 kegs, that might be sooner rather than later. It is in the side bar or bistro bar at the moment, but it will be moved on to the front bar week after next & the Wheat will have a holiday.
Cheers
Gerard

OK a bit of an update on what is on tap at Paddys for those that may be passing our way.
Choc Porter, Pale Ale, & Pilsner as always. The IPA is back & slight change to the grain bill seems to have worked nicely. The Unleaded (2.9%Alc/Vol) is back by popular demand, this time around it is fermented on a German Lager yeast, probably my favourite beer to drink during the brew day.
Our Summer seasonal for 2010 is The Ginja Ninja, 4.8% Alc/Vol Ginger Beer.
The Dark Horse is gone for now, it might comeback around Easter or closer to May.
Cheers
Gerard

Great to see the IPA again GM! It tasted pretty awesome last time, think I might have to get out there and sample the new and improved version!

Hey Gerard,

Where can I buy Paddy's beers in bottles?? When will 1st Choice stock them??

Cheers.

We have done some test bottling over the last few months, with very good results. I tasted all the bottles & they were in great shape. As soon as I get permission I will start bottling a few for take aways from our Bottle shop. We may sell some over the net too, as people are always eager to spend way too much money on ordinary beers on the net. I wonder how much we can gauge out of them for some good beers!
Cheers
Gerard

Back