Pacific Gem Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rclemmett

Reaction score
I used these hops for the first time a few weeks ago in an ordinary bitter and was very pleased with the result. The description said they add a blackberry flavour and guess what, they did.

Pacific Gem gets my vote for bitters.

I used these hops for the first time a few weeks ago in an ordinary bitter and was very pleased with the result. The description said they add a blackberry flavour and guess what, they did.

Pacific Gem gets my vote for bitters.

Interesting, were they really high alpha also? Resulting in not having to use many I guess?

Interesting, were they really high alpha also? Resulting in not having to use many I guess?

16%, highest I've used so far. I only used about 5g for bittering but added 20g at 20min, and 10g at 10min.

16%, highest I've used so far. I only used about 5g for bittering but added 20g at 20min, and 10g at 10min.

Did you get alot of black pepper off of them?

I'll have to get back to you on that.... I got blackberry and marmalade flavours....

Sounds delish - Reason I ask is a heap of NZ hops have this overpowering black pepper note to them, I think its all the myrcene in them.. Im real anti it at the mo, especially NZ cascade :icon_vomit:

Sounds delish - Reason I ask is a heap of NZ hops have this overpowering black pepper note to them, I think its all the myrcene in them.. Im real anti it at the mo, especially NZ cascade :icon_vomit:

I did a quick google on myrcene... Do they only use it in NZ? Please tell me more.

I did a quick google on myrcene... Do they only use it in NZ? Please tell me more.

Dont quote me on this - But, i believe its one of the oil compounds that grows naturally in hops, but in NZ hops alot of them have a higher percentage of myrcene, where as british hops, or at least alot of them are around 20%, alot of NZ hops are well over 40% and it can result in a big 'black pepper' type note which I seem to get in a heap of the NZ hops ive used.. Not so much in others tho.. Pretty sure its got something to do with our growing conditions..

Dont quote me on this - But, i believe its one of the oil compounds that grows naturally in hops, but in NZ hops alot of them have a higher percentage of myrcene, where as british hops, or at least alot of them are around 20%, alot of NZ hops are well over 40% and it can result in a big 'black pepper' type note which I seem to get in a heap of the NZ hops ive used.. Not so much in others tho.. Pretty sure its got something to do with our growing conditions..

You learn something new every day... I used Goldings as well so I guess it would have balanced out a little. I'll have to look out for the 'black pepper' note.

You learn something new every day... I used Goldings as well so I guess it would have balanced out a little. I'll have to look out for the 'black pepper' note.

Yeah you definately do.. Apparantly it can also be responsible for a sort of astringent bitterness (as opposed to a smooth bitterness) if you use high myrcene hops as a bittering addition, again Cascade is a good example, a savage bittering hop!

I had some a while ago, 15 odd percent, but the smoothest bitterness you can imagine. Worked great dryhopped in the keg too. Very good flavour and aroma too. I'd use it again definately.

Back