Oxygen For Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I'm wondering where would be the best, and cheapest place to source one of those tiny bottles of pure oxygen for using to aerate my wort? Sourcing co2 is easy but I cannot seem to find oxy!

Contact Ross at craftbrewer. He has cheap areosol can with Oxygen. I use it all the time.

Chap Chap

Or you could use Olive Oil? :ph34r:

Contact Ross at craftbrewer. He has cheap areosol can with Oxygen. I use it all the time.

Chap Chap

Or you could use Olive Oil? :ph34r:

I saw that stuff the other day. But the can didn't seem to hold much gas. How much do they cost and how many brews does it last?

would a big cylinder of oxygen be ok to use for this purpose ?

as in the type that sit next to an acetylene bottle ?

I saw that stuff the other day. But the can didn't seem to hold much gas. How much do they cost and how many brews does it last?

I've been talking to the guy who runs my keg on legs CO2 stuff about this recently. He is looking into setting up a service for O2 like he does for CO2. Basically, you buy the bottle outright and can then swap and go when your cylinder gets empty. He was keen to know how many people would be interested so if you are it might be worth dropping them an email, or posting your interest here and i can pass it on.

I'm interested yyy. I'm still on my first bernzomatic disposable cylinder. I think a small cylinder with approx 1kg net would last for quite a few brews.

I'm keen on the small bottles, as you'd only be giving the wort a 30 second blast, I don't think a big cylinder is required? We have an oxy/acc set up in the spare room for my wifes work, but if I go near it she'll have my balls! The small cans sound great, I'll drop him a line... or the Dummings option sounds decent as well.

I have a bernzomatic cylinder sources speciali order from Nunnings but have not been able to source a reg locally (no Cunnings can't get them) wtf?
Ross has the regs and stone etc listed but no stock at last check. Morebeer in the states have a reg but freight is a bit of a killer.
I'm very interested in a small disposable canister. any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Harry

would a big cylinder of oxygen be ok to use for this purpose ?

as in the type that sit next to an acetylene bottle ?

Yes! If your already paying rental on oxy/acet cylinders your on a winner.

Dropped into BOC today to get some prices. The guy said the smallest size I could get in the food grade stuff was and "E" size. The rental on this was $172 per year and the O2 cost was $90 for a fill. I asked about the "D" size in the welding O2 and the rental was only $20 cheaper and the fill cost was $60.

He said that the non food grade stuff was used to transport fish for a while and perhaps breeding etc but he had heard about contamination problems which is why the food grade stuff was introduced. Its basically medical grade but you dont need the doctors certificates. The only difference being that the tanks are purged before they are refilled.

And then of course you need a regulator on top of that. So looking pretty expensive if you only brew once or twice a month.

The small bernzomatic canisters arent worth the money. BUT, you can get them from Blackwoods (I believe blackwoods and Bunnings are part of the same parent company?) if your that way inclined.

For me an aquarium pump for a bit more time out of my life iw worth it.

Latest posts

Back