Oxygen Cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where/if it is possible to buy a food grade O2 bottle?

I'm hoping to move away from disposable canisters and not really keen to hire from Boc if I can help it, next purchase is a 6.8kg CO2 bottle so want to get out of hiring altogether if possible.

Most home brew shops sell them I got mine from my kegs on legs about 8years ago. It was $300 from memory. I used to get it filled for around $40 but that supplier has gone.
My LHBS swaps and gos them for $60. A bottle lasts me nearly 18months - 2 years tho.

Do you really want an O2 bottle and not CO2?

What are you using food grade O2 for?

Edak nailed it...wort aeration

Mr Wibble-I've seen MHB's ones but looking to get bigger if possible.

Kingy who is your LHBS? I'm in Newy also so I'd be able to go in and have a chat to them.

Glenos- I currently hire a 6.8kg CO2 bottle from BOC but next purchase is my own bottle so I can do away with renting one.

I go to Newcastle brew shop for emergency supplies or fresh wort kits when need something quick for a party or something.when I can get there that is.
He has a fair bit of brew related gear. Cylinders of different sizes I remember seeing.
I buy my grain online tho much more variety,cheaper and delivered in a few days.

Yeah I've just invested in a grain mill myself, with so much uncertainty regarding MHBs ability to continue trading I figured it was signs that the end was neigh.
I'll go in and check it out, I usually have used him (Newcastle brew shop) when I need a quick kg of LDME for a starter but never noticed any cylinders.. Wasn't really looking though.
Cheers Kingy

Cheers Dave, I was under the impression industrial grade O2 cylinder wasn't ok to use?

I'd be pretty happy if that wasn't the case though, is that what you use?

You want to see a dive shop,

image.jpg

Then get a flow meter from ebay and a stone and tubing and you are set to go.

Bottle and fittings aren't cheap but you own it and my local dive shop fills it for $10. And no more rental or running around buying overpriced thro away bottles.

Dicko- spot on mate cheers! I've got the flow meter and two stones so all that's waiting is the bottle.. Is it purely oxygen or a mix? From the dive shop I mean..

My understanding is that the oly differnce between medical and industrial grade is in the handling and control processes of the bottled product. The same stuff goes in each. Also you have about 3000 psi of pure oxygen - bugs aren't goning to like living in there. You can put one of those sterile hepa filters inline with the feed to the stone to be certain.
Dave

Judanero said:
Dicko- spot on mate cheers! I've got the flow meter and two stones so all that's waiting is the bottle.. Is it purely oxygen or a mix? From the dive shop I mean..
Mine is pure oxygen but the guy at the shop told me to always specify that I want pure oxygen when I get it filled.

He also wrote on the bottle 100% pure oxygen so that we all remember. :)

dicko said:
Mine is pure oxygen but the guy at the shop told me to always specify that I want pure oxygen when I get it filled.

He also wrote on the bottle 100% pure oxygen so that we all remember. :)
I am sure it would be a legal requirement for them to put that warning on the bottle because people have died being connected up to pure o2. Our breathing reflex is controlled by the amount of co2 in the air in the lungs. The less co2 the smaller the reflex. People died when in pure o2 because their repression rate allowed so dramatically.

This is why medical / hospital o2 has 5% co2 mixed in. It would not make a huge difference in this case though.

Latest posts

Back