Overly Heady When Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt actually think of that. Will just use a cube while Im waiting on getting a second fermentor/conditioner.

Cheers!

Although I suppose you could use cubes for conditioning also? (providing of course you sterilise them). After condidtioned you could then add stuff for bulk priming straight into cube?

I think most people use cubes for conditioning. I use cubes for just about everything, including primary fermenters. They are made from the same plastic, and you don't need a giant hole in the top. You shouldn't be putting anything inside them that isn't liquid anyway. No scrubbing - if hot napisan won't clean it out then it's no good for fermenting any more. I do take care not to let the caps get gunky, and soak them well in sanitiser, but caps are easy to replace and I doubt they are a major risk to the wort anyway. I've never had an infection in cubes and I'm happy to replace them periodically and use the old ones for camping.

I got a real cheapo 'fermenter' from the HBS. In reality it's just a bucket with a tap and a stick on lid. No airlock, no temp scale, nothing else on it. From memory it was $23. Made a great bottling bucket.

Stirring the priming liquid into a previously racked secondary can lead to oxidation, infection, and also you are stirring up any sediment that has dropped during the secondary ferment. I'd prefer to pop my priming solution into a new bucket and rack to that prior to bottling, leaving behind and secondary sediments, which I have observed can be significant, if small. If you stir it back in, what's the point of secondary at all.

Stirring the priming liquid into a previously racked secondary can lead to oxidation, infection, and also you are stirring up any sediment that has dropped during the secondary ferment. I'd prefer to pop my priming solution into a new bucket and rack to that prior to bottling, leaving behind and secondary sediments, which I have observed can be significant, if small. If you stir it back in, what's the point of secondary at all.

True. point taken re mixing primer into secondary. But surely going from primary to secondary to bulk priming your running a major risk of oxidation anyway? Or are you saying that you go from primary to secondary, but put your priming liquid in the secondary at the same time?

Latest posts

Back