Overheated Mash - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engibeer

Reaction score
G'day All,

I set out to brew a saison earlier and accidentally overheated my mash.

I had my element, hooked into an STC-1000, turned on, but my pump was not recirculating properly.

Long story short, I overheated the mash - in spots - to 80-85ish degrees.

Most of the mash should have had at least half an hour in the range of 63ish degrees.

Aside from the other implications of 78+ degrees, tannin extraction etc, I'm hoping this will be salvageable.

I was planning to duck down to the chemist and get some iodine.

Given that the conversion was complete in the time period, demonstrated by an iodine test, all should be okay and the beer should be drinkable, I'm hoping?

This article came to mind in my consideration that it might be salvageable http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/07/02/rapid-all-grain-beer-brewing-part-one-brewing/

Any advice will be much appreciated before I waste any other ingredients.

Thanks,

Matt

Half an hour at 63 should have given beta a good run at it.
If using a highly attenuating yeast like 3711 it may end up ok.
I rest saisons for 15 mins about 62 then ramp 69-70 for about 30-40 mins. 3711 will get that to 1006.

Perhaps I should change the beer style.

I haven't got any yeast on hand. I was planning to cube it and pick up a pack of danstar belle saison tomorrow.

Grain bill was 4kg belgian pilsner and 1kg weyermann wheat for 23L batch.

Any ideas for a good change, or leave it how it is?

I was going for 33IBU so this should help if there is more than desired residual sugar from the mash temp.

manticle said:
Half an hour at 63 should have given beta a good run at it.
If using a highly attenuating yeast like 3711 it may end up ok.
I rest saisons for 15 mins about 62 then ramp 69-70 for about 30-40 mins. 3711 will get that to 1006.
OT, but how long does the 3711 usually take? 3724 took about 8 weeks or so at around 28-29deg (the sluggard!).

3711 is a beast, in my experience, having brewed a few saisons with it... (at least 5)... it's always under a week.

Agree with above. 3711 doesn't seem to have the same stalling issues as the 3724 and smashes through the ferment pretty quickly.

Engibeer said:
Perhaps I should change the beer style.

I haven't got any yeast on hand. I was planning to cube it and pick up a pack of danstar belle saison tomorrow.

Grain bill was 4kg belgian pilsner and 1kg weyermann wheat for 23L batch.

Any ideas for a good change, or leave it how it is?

I was going for 33IBU so this should help if there is more than desired residual sugar from the mash temp.
Leave. I think it will be ok if 85 hasn't extracted anything nasty tannin wise. pH would probably need to be pretty off for that to happen.

As an update; I made a starter by reculturing La Sirene saison yeast from the bottle and 250mL of the wort from the batch above.

Stepped it up later using 750mL of 1.040 starter wort made using DME and water.

Fermented to 1.010 pretty quickly on the stir plate at cool Sunny Coast ambient temps, so no alarm bells there. I'd expect a higher FG in the starter if there were going to be any dramas, as it's 25% of the wort from the batch.

Pitched yesterday. I'm quietly confident it will be a very drinkable beer. The starter liquid was deliciously tart.

Beer turned out well. Slight tartness as reflected in the starter.

It pours with an insane amount of head though.

Back