Overcoming bitterness with late dry hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Reaction score
Hi all, have a quick question I need help with. I used Beersmith 2 for mobile for the first time to create an American amber ale using northern Brewers and Amarillo. Now I chose not to dry hop but in testing the brew before kegging I'm noticing it's probably a touch more bitter than I wanted. My thought is to add approx 15g Amarillo dry in the keg to try and offset the bitterness. I'm dry hopping in keg as I'm already at cold crash.

Any merit to my thought process or just enjoy the bitterness?

Bitterness can integrate/fade with a little bit of age. Dry hopping will certainly add extra flavour that may distract from the bitterness but won't offest per se (as extra malt/sweetness might for example).

Also while dry hopping adds no measurable BU from dissolved, isomerised alpha acids, there are other bittering compounds that can be extracted from dry hopping.
Best bet is probably to dry hop a glass or jug, cover and rest for a day or two. Taste and discern if scaled up amounts would improve the batch or not.

Also carbonation alters perception.
Give it a week before doing anything.

Thanks manticle. Might just be best to let it run its course and adjust recipe for next time while doing a class hop test for science and fun.

Thanks again.

I make 2 X keg brews often. Then keg one as itself alone. One with a hops sock. A simple way to compare and if you make good beer both kegs will be good. To get some impressive difference in dry hopping is to add at least 1g+ of hops per litre. Double or triple that to desire or iventory etc.
The hop socked (dry hopped) keg is allways smoother and mellower in bitterness. Its the best of the 2 kegs but that is debatabable on drinkinglability and judgemnaralisations of personalties etc like .
Not that bitterness is a bad thing though. One of the best beers I made before software I later worked out to be Pale ale at 55 ibu but tasted yummy and smooth like sweet greek yoghurt no shit!

Back