Overcarbonating Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reveler

Reaction score
I've got a Wheat beer that I made using Golden Sheath with a tin of Wheat Malt and W3068.

I bulk primed 23 ltrs with 225gm of Dextrose. (used the calculator online)

I just poured a glass and it was pure foam. No matter how I poured it I couldn't get it to pour properly. Once the foam settles I have flat beer.

I even used 2 different style glasses but the bugger just wouldn't pour nicely.

Is my beer buggered? I have left it for 3 weeks in bottles at around 18deg and haven't had any explosions.

Can you think of any reasons this would happen?

is there a chance the fermentation hadn't finished completely before bottling it? other than that i'd be interested to know any other ideas on it

is there a chance the fermentation hadn't finished completely before bottling it? other than that i'd be interested to know any other ideas on it

nah, it spent 2 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the secondary at 3 degrees.

try getting it REALLY cold before you serve it. Also chilled glasses .That'll hold in some of the C02, then you can just let it warm up in the glass.

A glass shape that expands out towards the top helps with over foaming pours (but it sounds like you may have already tried that)

Weizens are meant to be extra fizzy, but if you cant pour it whats the damn use??

Good luck.

Thirsty

I usually use 180g of dextrose for a 23L batch and the carbonation is more than sufficient. I've heard of others using a full cup (230g) to emulate the Cooper's Sparkling Ale style but I think it sounds like too much. In the mean time just get your current beers as cold as you can to reduce the carbonation a bit.

Hi
I usually add about 145 GM to a 21 litre batch and it turn out fine.
I agree that 230gm's sounds like too much, You had better watch out for bottle bombs.
Has the beer been in the bottle long?
which online calculator are you guys using?
Good luck.
Hoolio

I used this calculator

http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Alcohol...Calculator.html

With the Figures of 4.00 Desired, 8 Deg Celicus, 23 Ltrs and Corn Sugar. It came to 250gm which I thought was a bit much, so I reduced it to 225gm. Which is about 3.7 Desired.

No exploding bottles yet after 3 weeks in bottles.

Might just put this one to the side, and try something else!

I used this calculator

With the Figures of 4.00 Desired, 8 Deg Celicus, 23 Ltrs and Corn Sugar. It came to 250gm which I thought was a bit much, so I reduced it to 225gm. Which is about 3.7 Desired.

Well, that's a pretty highly carbonated beverage you have there. It might be worth trying this again just to make sure that it's not infected which could leave you with bombs. Better to find out and dump/drink them quickly than have explosions, don't you think?

As Thirsty Boy said, try getting the beer really cold before drinking it. The lower the temperature, the more CO2 will dissolve in the beer. Try popping them in the coldest part of the fridge a day before drinking them. Or whack them in the freezer for a bit. Good luck, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that sort of carbonation level in my bottles unless they were champagne ones. :unsure:

Hmmmm....I'm not an expert on this. I mainly suffer from undercarbonation as I use DME when bulk priming and I tend to get into the beer before it has completely had time to carbonate. In my experience, it takes longer to carbonate using DME, but the beer has a creamier mouthfeel.

I would have brought the temperature back up to your original fermentation temperature, bulk primed and bottled. There is residual CO2 depending on fermentation temperature but I'm not sure how this would affect the beer if it was fermented in primary for 2 weeks at 19C, then 1 week in secondondary at 3C, then bottling at 6C. I'd assume the residual would work itself out as it spent so much time at the lower temperatures.

As far as the beer now, how does it taste? Infection could cause the foaming, but if it tastes good, you might want to relieve the pressure in the bottles and recap. I have not done this before but have read about.

Someone here will have much more experience on this issue than I do and will offer sound advice. It does not sound entirely like a carbonation issue to me, could be a few factors affecting it.

BB

Freeze some glasses and wet them before pouring as well. That might help.

I used this calculator

FWIW, I just bulk primed an American Wheat+W3056 using the same calc. and the figures:
2.4 C02 desired, 18C, 21L, DME 70 AA% for 227g required.

After 4 weeks in bottles, it's carbed up beautifully with a clean, creamy head and good head retention.

I shot a photo to demonstrate the amount of bottling I did in one day (bloody hell, took nearly 7.5 hours!) I was about 1/2 way through a wheat (in glass approx. 7 mins?) at the time of shot:
P1010002.JPG

My guess is that your bulk priming at 8C may not have allowed for your DME to mix properly with the beer. Did you boil the DME with a pint of water for 10 mins. and chill to 8C before adding it? Did you use a brewers paddle or comparable to gently stir in the priming? Additionally, It's a good idea to give it a light stir every dozen bottles or so (during the bottling process) to be sure an even mixture is shooting to each bottle.

In comparison to my batches, I would say:
-4.00 even 3.7 is too much C02
-Poor mix of priming and a low temp may mean you have some very over-carbed and some under-carbed
-Infection

Recipe, as may help:
True American Wheat

A ProMash Recipe Report
AHA Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
06-C American-style Ale, American Wheat

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 12 Max IBU: 17
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 46.00 Wort Size (L): 46.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.54
Anticipated OG: 1.040 Plato: 9.94
Anticipated SRM: 3.0
Anticipated IBU: 13.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
---------------
Evaporation Rate: 5.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 48.42 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.038 SG 9.46 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Coarse Grind As Is.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.7 3.31 kg. Lager Malt(2-row) America 71.27 1
51.6 4.41 kg. Wheat Malt America 77.50 2
9.7 0.83 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 67.12 2

Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
34.45 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 5.10 11.4 60 min.
8.61 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 5.10 1.5 30 min.
17.23 g. Fuggle Whole 4.20 0.9 10 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain kg: 8.54
Water Qts: 17.59 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 16.65 - Before Additional Infusions
L Water Per kg Grain: 1.95 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 50 Time: 45
Intermediate Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp : 69 Time: 80
Mash-out Rest Temp : 74 Time: 5
Sparge Temp : 71 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 22.35 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

I just popped open another one (been in the freezer a bit) and the lid blew off and flew off somewhere (if you see it please let me know :D)! so I went outside and got one out of my turned off fridge (this is almost always around 18 degrees). and that one opened fine with no dramas.

When I put the dextrose in, I dissolved it in 200ml of hot water, then put that in the bottom of the fermenter and racked on top of it. So hot dextrose mix, with cold beer. The whole batch was swirling as it was filling so I figured that would be a good enough mix.

I haven't had any bottle bombs yet and have no idea what an infection would taste like, so I guess I'll wait and see.

i dont want to hijack your thread reveler, but its not worth making a new topic for, its relevant!

When bulk priming, and say your fermenter has 20L in it. Do you take into account the litre or so of the yeast cake in the bottom when calculating how much dextrose to use?

thanks guys!

Back