Over Priming Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi All
im still new to home brewing, only been doing it a few months & loving it.
I usually use cabonation drops to prime the bottles. on the weekend when i was bottling I ran out of the drops. So I used sugar for the remaing bottles in the batch. I was doing a batch in 375ml bottles, I put a teaspoon in each bottle. yesterday when i was doing a bit of reading i learnt that im only ment to put 1/2 a teaspoon in each bottle, I basicly got the measurements mixed up.
so I took the lids of all the bottles and put them back in the heat box. After thinking a little last night about this i thought i may be able to leave the lids off for a week then let the sugar in there ferment out then re prime them with the correct amount, would any one recommend this? or have a ruined them?
any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

I'm not sure if a teaspoon per 375mL bottle is too much or not.

I've got no idea how to recover this batch if it is overcarbed apart from gently pouring them back into the fermenter carefully to let them ferment out. I wouldn't leave the lids off for a week though.

I'm no help at all but at least I bumped yr thread.

Thanks for that. I might try my little theory any way, since ive probably reuined it any way. Atleast i know that im not going to make that stupid mistake again.

Thanks for that. I might try my little theory any way, since ive probably reuined it any way. Atleast i know that im not going to make that stupid mistake again.
I did this to my last brew, all I did was take the cap off and recapped straight away, you just need to take the pressure out of it, a couple of them made a big ol pop when I took the cap off. If it still bugs you test one a week later and wrap a towel around it to be sure it doesnt become enemy fire. If it isn't a boy after all that you should be fine. I'd think if you let the caps off for a week it would be ruined. No point in that.

I honestly don't know why anybody stuffs around measuring sugar when these things are a couple of dollars from any HBS.
You cant go wrong.

sugar%20measure2.JPG

Thanks for the advice. Dave70, i know what you mean and I have already ordered one. just wating for it to arrive.

I honestly don't know why anybody stuffs around measuring sugar when these things are a couple of dollars from any HBS.
You cant go wrong.

sugar%20measure2.JPG

cheap? Yes they are...

but they're not flexible for your brewing needs if you use anything other than 375ml or 700ml bottles.

you can get four way scoops with 330,375,500 and 750mls. ive got one but cant remember were i got it from though.

You cant go wrong.

sugar%20measure2.JPG

I hated those things. I've somehow got 2 of them & haven't used either for 10 years I reckon. I used to use carbonation drops until I accumulated enough fermenters to be able to bulk prime. It doesn't get much easier than 5.6g of dex for every litre of beer.

Different sugars have got different effectiveness in priming your bottles/ carbonating your beer. there's a section in how to brew on it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

The carbonation of every beer you make should really depend on the style. You wouldn't want a heavy english stout to be bubbling and frothing out like a beligan blonde. Go Batch priming if you can it's the best most controllable way to carbonate your beers.

Is that the same as 9g per ltr of brown sugar? Or do you like to have less carbonation in you brew?

I did this to my last brew, all I did was take the cap off and recapped straight away, you just need to take the pressure out of it, a couple of them made a big ol pop when I took the cap off. If it still bugs you test one a week later and wrap a towel around it to be sure it doesn't become enemy fire. If it isn't a boy after all that you should be fine. I'd think if you let the caps off for a week it would be ruined. No point in that.

+1 for this idea.

Through my experience a whole teaspoon for a stubbie would definately be too much.
Popping the caps off even after a couple of days to release the pressure would be far better than leaving the caps off for a week and getting an infected brew.
I would pop the caps off though and re cap otherwise in a monthgive or take a week or two your bottles will probably go off like a honeymooner's dick everytime you open them :lol:

Latest posts

Back