Over Pitching?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filby

Reaction score
Hi!

From a previous brew I have collected the yeast and washed it a few times. I'm looking at doing another brew on Sunday and was wondering how much of the washed yeast I should use? I reckon ive got around 200ml of pure yeast sitting at the bottom of the yar but I assume there is such a thing as overpitching? Also is there some technique to overcome any bacteria that may be in with the yeast, such as a starter that has a lot of yeast cells in it?

Cheers for any help!

Fil

250 mls is ample mate. Just biff it all in and stir it. Better still biff it into a half full fermenter then top up with water using the water to aerate and mix it.

if its unwashed slurry my rule of thumb is:

1/2 cup for ale @ 1.050~ @ 23L
1 cup for lager @ 1.050~ @ 23L

as for washed yeast solids:

assume 4.5 billion cells per ml of compacted yeast solids, using that we perform the following:

750,000 cells required per ml of wort * ml of total wort * deg plato of beer

750,000 * 23000 * 12.5 (1.050 OG) = 215.63 billion cells required to ferment the beer at ample pitching rate and cell growth etc.

so, 215.63/4.5 cells per ml of yeast solids = 47.91ml of yeast solids required to pitch into said beer. Double 750,000 in the equation or double the final figure for that of whats required for a lager of equal volume and deg plato.

hope this helps.

Cheers for the info. Screwtop also sent me a link to a nice calculator which came out with the same result.

If I chucked in 100ml is there any penalty?

Also, by pouring off the water on top of the washed yeast, does that reduce the chance of infection?

generalised penalty = minimal cell growth = minimal yeast derived flavours.

tip the water, it has no place in your beer. if i ever wash yeast (which is almost never) i dump the water, rouse it in some of the wort and dump that into the fermenter.

cheers.

DO IT!!!!!! ......................and learn from the results.....good or bad it's the learn'in that counts.

Latest posts

Back