Over Oxygenating Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coopers do sell sodium percarb as a sanitizer, I've bought it on several occasions in a little plastic bottle. In low doses it does that, needs a long contact period though. I went through a phase of testing different sanitisers, and I have a 1L bottle of starsan, iodophor and that brew-clean stuff. I chop between them regularly and it looks like I've never opened any of them. I think theyll last me well beyond a lifetime of brewing haha.

In brewing circles, its' use as a yeast inhibitor is not really appropriate. It's anti-microbial activity is dependent on pH and beer/brewing doesn't have the correct pH range.

For Beer, Sodium Met is horrible stuff ... it smells and is nowhere near as effective as an acid like Peroxitane or Iodophor, or even plain bleach as Kirem has suggested. There is also no way that oxygen or air will add a 'twang', it will encourage good fermentation.

You can have a situation of over oxygenation and under pitching which will encourage conditions where excessive amounts of the precursor of VDK (Diacetyl). Regardless, any 'twang' would be from residual sodium met or an infection. Sodium Met from memory needs rinsing, compared to no rinse solutions like Peroxitane or Iodophor ...

Scotty

If you are interested, PM me and organise a sample of a beer that displays the sour character and send it to for me and I will put it through the micro lab at work.

this will identify if you have any bacteria, yeast other than saccharomyces and maybe if I ask nicely the lab may identify the bacteria for you (if there are some), if not I'll do it myself

I can also get some chemistry analysis including SO2, this will help you identify if you have residual SO2 in your beer.

Firstly - ditch the Brewcraft stuff - they don't tell you what's in it, so how can you have faith in it as a no-rinse sanitiser?
Secondly - if you need to rinse your sanitiser with tap water, then you are undoing the effects of sanitising. There might be trace levels of chloramine in the tap water, but it is by no means sterile!

The best no-rinse sanitisers are either iodophor (although this stains your gear), or an acid-based sanitiser like Starsan.
I use the later. It is diluted to such a high ratio that it tastes nothing more than a mild acid. Required contact time is minimal, and it leaves NO taint in your beer. You use SO little of the stuff that it will last years and years, and cost a few cents per brew. I wish I knew about this years ago, instead of buggering around with Sodium Met. :icon_vomit:

Morning all.

When topping up my fermenter I will squeeze the end of the hose to spray it in so to maximise the oxygen.
I think this might me excessive and leaving a twang on the back of the pallet of the final product.

The beer tastes great, but just leaves that lingering twang....not really a kit twang but more like the taste in your mouth 5min after eating one of those sour lollies you get form the Deli.

Just wondering what effects over-oxygenating your wort, prior to pitching has and how much is too much.
My next brew (today or tomorrow) i will just be holding the hose (attached to the pura-tap) above the fermenter and let it splash in. Just as an experiment.

Cheers,

BF

If the taste you are detecting is caused by oxidisation; then it is more likely that the oxidisation is happening in the bottle - perhaps as a result of your bottling process. I agree with all the above comments about it being impossible to over-aerate your wrt.

We've noticed that our SNPA clone, which drinks beautifully for the first couple of weeks, gets a twang after that - and I suspect that it is oxidising. This could be because of the way the bottling tube squirts the beer in - but that's just a guess.

One of the things I like about the after-taste being the problem is that it can be solved easily; merely by continuing to drink:)

Cheers

Breezy

We've noticed that our SNPA clone, which drinks beautifully for the first couple of weeks, gets a twang after that - and I suspect that it is oxidising. This could be because of the way the bottling tube squirts the beer in - but that's just a guess.

If bottle conditioned, the yeast will help to mop up introduced oxygen. But excess in any way is bad from the point after fermentation is finished...

Scotty

When topping up my fermenter I will squeeze the end of the hose to spray it in so to maximise the oxygen.
Stabbing in the dark here, but it's not a green garden hose is it?

Stabbing in the dark here, but it's not a green garden hose is it?

Ours certainly is. Worse, it runs from a tap in the scheien-house:)

Seems like it would be a recipe for disaster but it introduces no ill effects that we've noticed and it certainly allows for an aerated wrt. Having said that we mostly do and prefer to do full volume boils these days - one less infection vector can only be a good thing.

Cheers

Breezy

Morning all.

I think this might me excessive and leaving a twang on the back of the pallet of the final product.

what hose? it may be leeching a taste from the hose to the fermenter.
pour yourself a drink from the same hose, does it taste ok?

It rubs the lotion on its skin
Or else it get the hose again
It rubs the lotion on its skin
Or else it get the hose again
Yes precious it gets the hose

Latest posts

Back