Outrageous Grain Prices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admittedly his yeasts are a bit exxy but you can't complain when you buy 500g of a variety of hop for $28 that no one in the country had at the time (Amarillo last year).

Also less than 60 for a full sack of weyermann pils malt is pretty good. Add this to the knowledge and good service he has, it keeps me coming back.

Will be a shame when he sells the place.

Max, I have not looked at the fresh wort kit prices anywhere, so I can't go into that one.

His grain prices are on par with Ross', so you can't call him a rip-off merchant ;)

The re-packaged dry yeast stocked there is also very well priced...can't say anything about liquid (probably what is mentioned above by Timmy) as I've never bought any there.

Yep, I buy stuff elsewhere for various reasons sometimes, but it's a good shop and I'll stand up for Colin any day B)

PZ.

'Twas a Cooper's Bavarian Lager.
How do you explain fresh wort kits $10 more than other Hb stores?

What is the freight charge for a pallet of fresh wort kits from Sydney to Canberra?

BTW, $27 is about the price he charges for an ESB 3kg tin. They also make the Bavarian Lager. All of the coopers range that I have seen are in the low to mid teens.

Yes, he is a little more expensive, but he has a great range, and is always quick to loan a book, or a piece of obscure brewing gear.

Festa.

You are right Fingerlickin_B, the HB shop that was closed is the only place in Canberra that has a clue, but my god is he expensive. ESB fesh wort kits are $43. A mate recently bought a Coopers tin there for $27. I can get liquid yeast shipped from Sydney cheaper than they sell them for.
Don;t get me wrong, he's a lovely guy, and I know that everyone has to make a living (and have holidays overseas :p), but when you know that other HB stores (after their mark up) are selling things for many dollars less, you do think about the benefits of active competition.

I would beg to differ on this one. Sure the fresh wort kits are $8 more than direct from the source in Sydney but have you thought that at a weight of 15 Kg they take a bit of transport and that he is likely paying a bit of a wholesale premium. I would consider it a bit of a service to those people in Canberra that want to try the kits.

I can't comment on the kit prices, but I do know that most of the kits that I have looked at are on par with home brew shops elsewhere. I am guessing the $27 is a mistake consider that that is the price that you can get the ESB 3KG kits there for.

As for other things such as Grain, he is very reasonable for the small brewer. I can get 1 KG bags crushed grain there for around $3. For someone that brews over winter about once or twice a month and at the moment would not be using larger quantities of grain, this price is extremely reasonable. It allows me to experiment with a range of all grain styles at what I think is a pretty good price.

Definitely a shop that I think is worth supporting.

What is the freight charge for a pallet of fresh wort kits from Sydney to Canberra?

BTW, $27 is about the price he charges for an ESB 3kg tin. They also make the Bavarian Lager. All of the coopers range that I have seen are in the low to mid teens.

Yes, he is a little more expensive, but he has a great range, and is always quick to loan a book, or a piece of obscure brewing gear.

Festa.

Amusing that we were typing the same thing at the same time independently but basically saying the same thing. I just took longer as I was watching a movie at the same time.

:)

As a brewer new to using grains (around 4.5kg a partial) like most seasonal products do they get cheaper when in season?

When they are just harvested and theres a lot more about I am curious as to weather they get sold discounted.

Cheers.

As a brewer new to using grains (around 4.5kg a partial) like most seasonal products do they get cheaper when in season?

When they are just harvested and theres a lot more about I am curious as to weather they get sold discounted.

Cheers.

lol, that would be nice. the only way to get them cheaper is to buy them by the tonne, on a pallet

you should look into doing that with your club (gathering)

Cheers.

Grains, by their nature are a store-able product. Only produce that is perishable and seasonal is going to have a seasonable variation in price.

With 4.5 kg of grain, you should just go all grain, you only need a little bit more grain to get there.

Should and will be very shortly... Unfortunately thats the maximum amount I can do with my current equipment.

So I saw Lucas' APA thread and Ross' Kilkenny partial recipe and thought "I'll do that one tonight".

My HBS of choice is closed on Mondays, so I called another one instead.

How much do they charge for 1kg of Crystal? $7.95!!!!

Plus, he doesn't know the EBC rating or anything, just "1kg cracked Crystal", nothing more he could tell me :ph34r:

BLOODY COMPUTERS or programmers ????????????????
Prices were there last time I looked.
It certainly is .net.au The .com.au shop is Queensland
Brewers Choice Victoria.
I sell 1 kg of Crystal 220 for $3-95 cracked.
I will get onto the price thing, don't know what happened ?????
Cheers
Col

BLOODY COMPUTERS or programmers ????????????????
Prices were there last time I looked.
It certainly is .net.au The .com.au shop is Queensland
Brewers Choice Victoria.
I sell 1 kg of Crystal 220 for $3-95 cracked.
I will get onto the price thing, don't know what happened ?????
Cheers
Col

You're right, the .net.au one mustn't have worked when i checked it out! Ignore everything else i said, i thought the other place must have been you!

1kg of crystal for 3.95 isn't bad at all.

:unsure:

Ok i think this is a different person to the brewstores that have been talked about, his website is actully www.brewerschoice.net.au and his prices are $1.75 for 250grams, he also seems to have a good selection of beers

Brewwizard i think the guy was in the ACT and looking for the grain on the actual day.

There are many online stores that would have provided next day delivery

"I can't comment on the kit prices, but I do know that most of the kits that I have looked at are on par with home brew shops elsewhere. I am guessing the $27 is a mistake consider that that is the price that you can get the ESB 3KG kits there for."

My mistake , the Cooper's cans were $17, not $27. I don't want to get into a slanging match, because all Canberra Brewers know that Col's shop is the only place to go, but I still think liquid yeast for $22 etc is way overboard.

I'm not sold on the freight reason either. What about all the other HB stores out of Sydney that seem to sell the kits for $33? You can't tell me it's more expensive to send them to Canberra than elsewhere (like Newcastle where they are sold for $33).

Anyway, I was just having a little whinge because I am very broke, and the wife has me on a brewing budget.

I hope someone decent takes the shop over and keeps supplying Canberra, otherwise we will have to organise road trips to Sydney! :blink: :beerbang:

"I can't comment on the kit prices, but I do know that most of the kits that I have looked at are on par with home brew shops elsewhere. I am guessing the $27 is a mistake consider that that is the price that you can get the ESB 3KG kits there for."

My mistake , the Cooper's cans were $17, not $27. I don't want to get into a slanging match, because all Canberra Brewers know that Col's shop is the only place to go, but I still think liquid yeast for $22 etc is way overboard.

I hope someone decent takes the shop over and keeps supplying Canberra, otherwise we will have to organise road trips to Sydney! :blink: :beerbang:

ESB - the source has them for $35, I doubt they would let others undercut them. They are also supplied with yeast, I am guessing others shops do not supply the yeast maybe ?

I do agree about the Wyeast, the only thing I can say is that you are taking a very negative view and desperately looking for the extremes. On the whole, over a range of goods, the shop is not that bad and the service is excellent.

Latest posts

Back