Out of date kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
I was given 2 cans of coopers larger that is out of date one is from november 2013 and the other is from march 2014 could they be OK or just through away

Hey Bonk probably ok as long as the cans are in good condition but substitute the yeast for a fresh one.

Yer the cans look OK and I was thinking of using new yeast thanks

They will make beer...

Will it be great beer? Not likely..

The old saying is that fresh is best.

You have little to lose but time and effort so if you have that to spare, go for it :)

Paperweight, door stop, they could have a few uses but for beer i would just buy a new kit

Go for it!

You will get a good appreciation of what oxidised extract tastes like, and be able to recognise it in future.

As for me, once is enough!

Just did my first brew with some out-of-date ingredients.

Undrinkable. I haven't yet worked up the courage to pour it all away and get the bottles back, too emotional.

(at least I think it was undrinkable because of the ingredients. A bad workman blames his tools and all that...)

if the tin is bulging then i wouldnt use it.. if you put a can opener on it and you hear a gush of air when opening it dont use it..
they will make beer, but as yob said, it could be shit...

ive learnt my lesson, done a few because they was cheap, won't be doing that again!

Hit and miss.

Sometimes it'll work out fine... I've used old cans of unhopped extract before and still made good beer. On the other hand, the worst one I can remember was probably a year out of date, and was rusted up along the rim.

I can still taste the rust, and a some sort of gag inducing after taste that, while I can't really describe, I'm not going to forget in a hurry.

If the cans look ok, then maybe... but I wouldn't do it anymore. My cans from a planned-but-not-executed brew from last July are starting to look at me with big sad eyes, like they know what might happen if I don't get around it soon.

robfromdublin said:
Just did my first brew with some out-of-date ingredients.

Undrinkable. I haven't yet worked up the courage to pour it all away and get the bottles back, too emotional.

(at least I think it was undrinkable because of the ingredients. A bad workman blames his tools and all that...)
How bad was it bad beer does keep the good beer disappears quickly.

They may be ok maybe not, I wouldn't do it again

How many bad selfie brews can your esteem and inner brewer take over the years? that is the ultimate question, true you can blame the expiration dates but a little bit of the brewer dies with every mouthful of home made shite beer, imho

Les the Weizguy said:
Go for it!

You will get a good appreciation of what oxidised extract tastes like, and be able to recognise it in future.

As for me, once is enough!
How does extract in a tin become oxidised?

At least in part because a large number of the necessary pathways and reactions begin before it makes it into the tin. Many of these pathways are irreversible.

So it is a slow process that gradually comes to the forefront hence the use by date?

indica86 said:
So it is a slow process that gradually comes to the forefront hence the use by date?
Yes. From my reading, staling reactions begin as far back as the malting process.

Well thanks for all your advise but I went against my better judgment and thermented it anyway with a result that well.......put it this way I know now what of flavors means .... I didn't bottle it just tipped it down the sink....cheers

Beer has other uses a snail bait and is used in compost heaps and in a lawn fertilizer.

Used a pale ale can that was so out of date was dark brown no rust or explosions when I opened it.

Made beer*..

Even used the yeast under the lid.

Made beer*..

You all are all too precious :D

*Beer it may have been in the loose sense. Still got though the keg with some help from a few mates.

Back