Out Of Date Kits - Any Issues?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malt extract is just basically sugar stuff hermetically sealed in a can. I seriously doubt it can go off. Full points to those individuals talking from experience. I respect peoples choice not to use it. I'd use it, and half price cans sound like a bargain.

Oh how you and your :icon_vomit: advice have been missed.

Stale out of date cans are well documented, even the op now notes strange things are afoot..

do your research H2B

Just use out of date kits for making yeast starters - just make
sure to let the starters ferment out and separate the yeast from
the beer before pitching.

Pour the goop into tupperware containers (wide enough to easily
get your hand in while holding a spoon) and keep in freezer - the
goop wont freeze completely in a normal household freezer and
can be scooped out with soup spoons. It takes about 2 to 3
spoonfuls to make 500mL of 1.045 starter wort - a good way
to use up kits after moving to AG.

Malt extract is just basically sugar stuff hermetically sealed in a can. I seriously doubt it can go off. Full points to those individuals talking from experience. I respect peoples choice not to use it. I'd use it, and half price cans sound like a bargain.
That is a vastly misleading statement.
Yes the bulk of what is in the kit is Sugary Stuff but there are also a bunch of protein and minerals extracted from the malt. Protein and sugars combine into what are known as Milliard products, this is the natural darkening that happens in most foods as they are cooked. When the product is very concentrated these products form at ambient temperatures all be it slowly, in acidic environments the process is accelerated.
Then there are the Hop Products, not just Alpha and Iso-Alpha Acids but all the other hop products, these to condense over time, technically its called polymerisation, they join up into something resembling rubber that no longer does the job it was put there to do.
Kits change over time, they are best freshest but the best before or use by dates are there for very good reasons.
Mark

That is a vastly misleading statement.
Yes the bulk of what is in the kit is "Sugary Stuff" but there are also a bunch of protein and minerals extracted from the malt. Protein and sugars combine into what are known as Milliard products, this is the natural darkening that happens in most foods as they are cooked. When the product is very concentrated these products form at ambient temperatures all be it slowly, in acidic environments the process is accelerated.
Then there are the Hop Products, not just Alpha and Iso-Alpha Acids but all the other hop products, these to condense over time, technically it's called polymerisation, they join up into something resembling rubber that no longer does the job it was put there to do.
Kits change over time, they are best freshest but the best before or use by dates are there for very good reasons.
Mark

Now this is an informative post, not like the bullshit some people try to inform others!
Thanks

The worst kit brew I've ever made was a double-can Muntons pack - Old English Bitter. It was given to me for Xmas by a buddy from some little LHBS that's now closed down at Chermside. It turned out to be past its BB date and had thus gone through two QLD summers on the shelf.

Turned out so black it was almost mulberry in colour and tasted like burnt road tar. I've also had that problem with Coopers Lager tins from LHBS as opposed to from the IGA, the contents seem to darken even after just a few months in the tin if kept in un-airconditioned shops with slow turn around.

I used a 7 year old Coopers Bitter can, that I'd acquired for free.

It was black, like a stout.

No bitterness left and with me underbittering it, it tasted awful.

Thanks guys. I will take a reading tonight and see if there has been movement.

Based on a combination of factor including expired kits, lack of consistant temp control, coopers summer yeast :( Grrr at the local for not really supporting beer brewing...

I like my beer, I like my brewing, my friends like what I have brewed so far and I really don't want to risk it.

If the movement has been minimal, I will throw it out and count it as a learning experience in my world of brewing.

Thank you.

Thanks guys. I will take a reading tonight and see if there has been movement.

Based on a combination of factor including expired kits, lack of consistant temp control, coopers summer yeast :( Grrr at the local for not really supporting beer brewing...

I like my beer, I like my brewing, my friends like what I have brewed so far and I really don't want to risk it.

If the movement has been minimal, I will throw it out and count it as a learning experience in my world of brewing.

Thank you.

Mate, if your in Logan, why don't you swing over to craft brewer at capalaba?

They do extract, but of course their biggest market is grain.

But you'll get to try their 20 taps' worth of beer.

Goomba

Craftbrewer also sell weyermann extracts and if I were an extract brewer this or Briess is what I would be using.

Or grab a FWK and some yest and brew something really nice...

Out of date milk makes shit coffee.

Out of date bread makes shit sammiches.

Going to spend 2-4 weeks fermenting beer and more weeks conditioning it? - Why use out of date ingredients?
But really - if I lived within driving distance of CB, and had my cold side sorted, I'd try a FWK as the first step on the slippery slope that is AG brewing...

Oh how you and your :icon_vomit: advice have been missed.

Stale out of date cans are well documented, even the op now notes strange things are afoot..

do your research H2B

I have done some research in the past thanks Yob. Trolling the net I have found information about people making award winning beer with mature kits. Apparently some think aging will improve the product. It may all come down to what you're trying to achieve and how much experience you have with cans.
I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, just stating another point of view. If you don't think its any good don't use it. :mellow:

Have you a link to this information about award winning beer?

Yeah had a quick look but its been a while since I read the particular thing I was referring to and wouldn't even be sure where to find it.
You're pretty right about the oxidation generally. Most of the stuff on the net talks about brewers using malt extract being capable of winning there share against all grain brewers.
If I recall correctly the aging of cans is done to replicate caramelization to some degree. Perhaps it may be good for something like a Lambic?

Mate, if your in Logan, why don't you swing over to craft brewer at capalaba?

They do extract, but of course their biggest market is grain.

But you'll get to try their 20 taps' worth of beer.

Goomba

I have been to Craft Brewer at Capalaba. I did a brown beer based on an extract using tinned malt, steeping grains, hopping at intervals. Was a really nice drop too. I want to get into BIAB just need to get a 40 to 60 litre pot and a high pressure gas burner :)
The local guy to me wanted to sell me a brewmeister machine but he doesn't sell the grains or stock a variety of yeasts. Figure ?!??
I will be getting over there soon. :)

Well I poured them down the laundry tub and washed everything out.
Next step, get some temp control in place and research and do BIAB
I have done an extract and really enjoyed doing that.
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. Really appreaciated. :)
Phil

Or grab a FWK and some yest and brew something really nice...

Out of date milk makes shit coffee.

Out of date bread makes shit sammiches.

Going to spend 2-4 weeks fermenting beer and more weeks conditioning it? - Why use out of date ingredients?
But really - if I lived within driving distance of CB, and had my cold side sorted, I'd try a FWK as the first step on the slippery slope that is AG brewing...
With the suggestion of the FWK, I've got a slightly off tangent question.
What's the longest you can keep wort in a cube for? I've heard of guys having cubes of wort from big brewdays that have been sitting in the garage for over half a year.

What's the longest you can keep wort in a cube for? I've heard of guys having cubes of wort from big brewdays that have been sitting in the garage for over half a year.

I normally try and use them within 3 months, but have had them up to 6 months with no adverse side effects. Just keep them stored out of light.

QldKev

I have been to Craft Brewer at Capalaba. I did a brown beer based on an extract using tinned malt, steeping grains, hopping at intervals. Was a really nice drop too. I want to get into BIAB just need to get a 40 to 60 litre pot and a high pressure gas burner :)
The local guy to me wanted to sell me a brewmeister machine but he doesn't sell the grains or stock a variety of yeasts. Figure ?!??
I will be getting over there soon. :)

Look in my sig - you may not need that big a pot!

Having said that, I've been eyeing off the 70L pots at CB for a while now.

Commercially, FWK's have a best before of 2 years from manufacture. As with most things though, the fresher the better.

Cheers Ross

Commercially, FWK's have a best before of 2 years from manufacture. As with most things though, the fresher the better.

Cheers Ross
Cheers Ross.
Longest I kept a cube was a week in summer.... Sitting next to a lawnmower.... then it formed a krausen.
8 hours of hard work and potentially delicious belgian down the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back