Ordinary Bitter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Reaction score
SWMBO has requested I brew something lower in alcohol than my normal 5%+ beers. I was thinking an English Ordinary bitter around 3.4% which would equate to a mid-strength local commerical beer. Using hops and yeast I have on hand I can knock this up for under $20.

Any feedback on the recipe would be appreciated.

Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.29 L
Estimated OG: 1.036 SG
Estimated Color: 16.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.67 %
0.35 kg Crystal, Light (141.8 EBC) Grain 9.33 %
0.15 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (3.5 EBC) Grain 4.00 %
17.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (60 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 500ml]

Cheers Stu

stu
grain bill and target grav looks fine. IMO, its too bitter as is, though.
I'd reccomend moving the ekg to a 20 min addition at 0.75g/L, and reduce the 60 min addition to give 23ibu overall. If you want, you could do a f/o addition of ekg at 0.5g/L. Mash at 68C. Luverly.

If you want a bit darker, swap some of the crystal for choc to 6%crystal 3% choc, and drop the IBU down to 21. The roasted dryness will rebalance it nicely ;)

As we are going Burton here, maybe add a heaped tsp of epsom salts and a heaped tsp of gypsum as well. The Burton yeast loves a bit of Magnesium. Warragamba water off the sandstone is really nice for drinking but personally I would be hardening the water up a bit in the mash tun.

(Just completed a Burton Bitter an hour ago, but I went more for a Marstons Pedigree and a wee bit stronger than yours) also plus one with Butters about the EKG which always lends itself to being late in the kettle rather than 60 mins.

Cheers

Edit: the extra sulphates would also suit the style and the yeast and maybe give it that characteristic "Burton Snatch" - obviously a term that predates the later 20th Century usage of the word :rolleyes:

IMO, its too bitter as is, though.

Whatever floats your boat but personally disagree with that. With that much crystal I would be keeping IBUs where they are or perhaps increasing a tad. In my slightly stronger bitters (maybe 4%alc) I use about 5 % crystal and bitter about 35+.

Either way I am sure it will be a tasty drop. :icon_chickcheers:

I agree with shonky. That recipe is perfect as it is. 27 IBUs gives a BU:GU of 0.75 - right where I like it.

Stu, with nearly 10% crystal I'd mash that one around 65-66 to keep it a nice light summer drinker.

Try throwing about 1g/l dry hops in the keg, it will make it shine.

right where I like it.

Well, thats the catch, isn't it?

I prefer mine at 60-65 BUGU giving a bit more emphasis on the malt. It's a case of to each their own. So I guess it depends on wheter SWMBO likes her bitter, bitter.

Styrian would work great in the dry hop, or even as a late addition. Styrian + EKG, or Styrian + fuggle is brilliant.

Recipe looks spot on to me too. I like a bitter around 0.8 so thats going to be great.

The yeast will try and climb out of your fermenter so be warned. I used to crack the lid so it was loose and this seemed to stop it just as it touched the lid. Aparently its a yeast for open fermentation and is quite fruity.

Will have to re visit it again soon!

Planing to tie a bag of EKG plugs onto the dip tube of my Bitter in brewing now for the keg. To get that fresh hop hit.

cheers

Well, thats the catch, isn't it?

I prefer mine at 60-65 BUGU giving a bit more emphasis on the malt. It's a case of to each their own. So I guess it depends on wheter SWMBO likes her bitter, bitter.

Styrian would work great in the dry hop, or even as a late addition. Styrian + EKG, or Styrian + fuggle is brilliant.

Today I actually used 30g fuggles flowers 60 mins and 30g Styrian goldings pellets but only for 10 mins (see rather lengthy post I am about to put on the AG subforum shortly re urn/nochill/NOCUBE).
I'll be doing an aroma-only EKG 'dry' addition with some hop tea made from EKG plugs as well. A match made in heaven.

I've got some Styrian Goldings in the freezer as well, should I dry hop with these or stick to the EKG, thoughts ?

Perfect. Styrians are awesome dry hopped. You get a slight citrus touch from them.

And butters - you've been drinking too much mild. Put some bitter in your bitter!

Thanks all for the feedback, revised recipe below. Cut back a touch on the Crystal and up the IBU's a couple back to around 26.

Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.29 L
Estimated OG: 1.036 SG
Estimated Color: 14.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.35 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 89.10 %
0.26 kg Crystal, Light (141.8 EBC) Grain 6.91 %
0.15 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (3.5 EBC) Grain 3.99 %
23.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops
17.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (20 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
12.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 500ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.76 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 9.81 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C

I was wondering how the above recipe would tast if served at 4C and carbed up with suger drops. :ph34r:

would taste good, but not as good as lowly carbonated and served at 8 to 10 degrees

I was wondering how the above recipe would tast if served at 4C and carbed up with suger drops. :ph34r:
The difference is that the above brew, whilst warming up, would taste better and better as opposed to something like Tooheys Extra Dry which, whilst warming up, tastes more and more like a cat has pissed in your wheelie bin :lol:

The difference is that the above brew, whilst warming up, would taste better and better as opposed to something like Tooheys Extra Dry which, whilst warming up, tastes more and more like a cat has pissed in your wheelie bin :lol:

+10

Latest posts

Back