Orange Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhilla02

Reaction score
G'day all!

First post!

I have one query, i've spent a lot of my time enjoying the brew kits but now i thought i need something special added.... why did orange spring to my mind? no idea but it sounded good, so i was just throwing this idea up in the air for some discussion on either ways of going about it or should i just not bother...

i was thinking maybe adding orange essence... or orange marmalade?

and could this possibly work with other fruits to get a strong fruity tasting beer, i just think it would be interesting!

Looking forward to some very critical responses! :rolleyes:

I often put dried orange peel in my wheat beers, can't really comment on essence or the likes. You can just scrape the rind of an orange being sure not to get any off the pith underneith as I'm pretty sure that stuff give off tanniny flavours (don't quote me on that though)

Looking for the orange flavour or the citrus zest ?.

well i was thinking more the orange flavour but would you suggest the zest would be best while taking a rest? hahaha didn't even get carried away there!

I often put dried orange peel in my wheat beers, can't really comment on essence or the likes. You can just scrape the rind of an orange being sure not to get any off the pith underneith as I'm pretty sure that stuff give off tanniny flavours (don't quote me on that though)

As far as food goes it's advisable to get only the coloured zest of any citrus fruits as the pith is extremely bitter so you are correct. I can't imagine those flavours would improve in beer.

@OP: I'd try using oranges and maybe some orange juice before I'd put in marmalade. Also apparently coriander seed adds a citrus flavour to beer. I recently made an ale with coriander seed (and other things) and it's delicious. Not sure if the citrus notes are from the coriander or the zest I used though.

Do you want a really full on oranger flavour? Before you make a full brew maybe check by adding some fresh orange juice or even a touch of cointreau to a beer.

If it's just a hint then I reckon zest and/or coriander seed is the way forward.

its most likely been done to death,,, any old orange OLD being the must, with mold spores is without a doubt a good orange zest too use at flameout, OR think outside the square and use another citrus, I regulally use lemon zest in a BPA with unnoticable but wondering results.

edit, no bugger it, you can work out the flameout refeerence to a k&k thread

I messed around with coriander seed and dried orange peel from the Asian grocer in a brew. Both are common ingredients in certain Chinese and other Asian cooking. A couple of bucks.

There's a Hoegaarden clone recipe around here which will give you time time to throw the goodies into the boil.

I left the orange peel in the fermenter (strained out the coriander seeds) and it came out very orangey tasting. To me it was a mistake, but if that's the flavour you're tartgeting, then this will be an easy solution for you. Use about four peels - they're complete peels from an orange, sundried and brown looking things. The pith has already been stripped.

HTH.

Cheers - Fermented.

I messed around with coriander seed and dried orange peel from the Asian grocer in a brew. Both are common ingredients in certain Chinese and other Asian cooking. A couple of bucks.

There's a Hoegaarden clone recipe around here which will give you time time to throw the goodies into the boil.

I left the orange peel in the fermenter (strained out the coriander seeds) and it came out very orangey tasting. To me it was a mistake, but if that's the flavour you're tartgeting, then this will be an easy solution for you. Use about four peels - they're complete peels from an orange, sundried and brown looking things. The pith has already been stripped.

HTH.

Cheers - Fermented.

Cheers for the tip, i'll try the taste then see whether or not its worth doing!

Dragging up an old thread.

The orange tree has given us heaps of fruit this year. So I am thinking of making an orange beer. I was thinking of jucing the oranges and heating the juice and using it as the mash water. Not sure how much juice i will get but will just top up with water.
Not sure if this will work. Has anyone tried something similar?

I was thinking
50% BB Pale Pils
40% Wheat
10% munich

Saaz to 20 ibu

Any suggestions

Cheers Brad

You could call it Orangeboom Brad!

Orange juice is one of the few that don't brew well. As others have said, feel free to use the zest, but the juice will make your beer taste bad (very bad).

Oranges are strong on citric acid (vitamin C), which is degraded to geraniol by many yeasts and bacteria; which contributes an off flavour reminicent of cut geraniums and rotting vegetation.
Also, it will drive your pH way down which means the bitterness will be off the charts.
Make orange marmelade and save your recipe for a beer you'll enjoy.
Chris

I recently brewed a Chocolate Orange Dark Ale and got a little heavy-handed with the cocoa. I used the zest of 10 oranges and couldn't detect any hint of orange at all. I'm just hoping that a year in the bottle will settle this beast down enough to drink.

I fermented orange juice once...

I am pretty sure you will only do it once as well Brad :)

Actually, I just remembered bconnery's Belgian Sour Orange Ale, which I have not brewed, but he made it sound tasty.

Oranges are strong on citric acid (vitamin C), which is degraded to geraniol by many yeasts and bacteria; which contributes an off flavour reminicent of cut geraniums and rotting vegetation.
This would seem to explain why my fermented orange juice tasted like compost almost instantly.

I fermented orange juice once...

I am pretty sure you will only do it once as well Brad :)

Actually, I just remembered bconnery's Belgian Sour Orange Ale, which I have not brewed, but he made it sound tasty.
It is tasty, but it doesn't use oranges, at least not Navels or Valencias or the like.
I use a variety of fruit called a Mandarin Lime, or a Rangpur Lime, that tastes a lot like a cross between an orange and a lime, or a mandarin and a lime.
It's generally easier just to say Sour Orange though...

I generally use somewhere in the region of 800 - 1500ml of juice, and some rind. Some is in the boil and some is added at flameout.
This isn't the same as orange juice.

I used the juice of around 4-6 oranges in my Chrismoose Ale, can't give any advice on what 'normal' orange juice would be like beyond that level...

I'm thinking of trying a brew with kumquats some time in the near future. Yes, they are a fruit, not a testicular infection.

G'day all!

First post!

I have one query, i've spent a lot of my time enjoying the brew kits but now i thought i need something special added.... why did orange spring to my mind? no idea but it sounded good, so i was just throwing this idea up in the air for some discussion on either ways of going about it or should i just not bother...

i was thinking maybe adding orange essence... or orange marmalade?

and could this possibly work with other fruits to get a strong fruity tasting beer, i just think it would be interesting!

Looking forward to some very critical responses! :rolleyes:

Try Citrusy Finishing Hops like Cascade or several other US varieties ,

http://www.hopunion.com/hvcb/

Latest posts

Back