Oops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Reaction score
Tuesday: Picked up another second hand fridge so that now I have a keg fridge and a ferment fridge.
Check the new fridge and find that it will fit four cornies and my gas bottle, you little ripper,
Put the kegs in the new fridge and plug it in. Unplug the old one until I can get it set up with the tempmate as a ferment fridge.

Sunday: Get off my backside and feed the cord for the tempmate through the drain, open the freezer for some reason and find that I had forgotten about the half a kilo of prawn heads that I put in the freezer til bin day
:icon_vomit:

My dog threw up yesterday, not sure if it was a coincidence of if she went too close to the freezer.
I hosed out the juice, but as you can imagine there is still a pretty persistant smell. At least it is only in the freezer.
The fridge smells fine at the moment, but not sure if when it's running the cold air will circulate between the two.

Any ideas on neutralising the smell.

I left the doors shut on my old fridge a few months back. Turned off. Went to check it the other day and its fur lined now.

Was hoping to use it as a fermenting fridge. Not sure whether I should risk it even if I clean it now.

So I feel your pain.

hi, sounds like the dog felt for you. hav you tried any bicarb soda. mix a little up and wipe out, then leave straight bicarb in a container. it should draw the smell into it. best of luck.

+1 for the bicarb.

After that, try cleaning with vanilla as it helps eliminate odours as well.

I had a similiar situation a couple years back when some greenie decided to unplug my fridge whilst i was away for the month. :angry:

After a good clean i used an industrial "odour neutraliser" which seem to do the job. Though unfortunately i used it more concentrated than recommended and ended up smelling this chemical for 6 months....though that was a major improvement on what it was!

Try spraying with a sodium metabisulphite solution then leaving it to work with the door shut for a few hours.

A bicarb paste liberally smeared.

In the Vietnam War a mate of mine had been in the food and catering division and one of their jobs was to transport supplies by helicopter to friendly or protected villages or whatever they were called. On one trip, Viet Cong missle went right through the open door at the side and out through and out of the matching door at the other side, collecting the groceries including a huge crock of fish sauce (what SWMBOs Chinese side of the family still refer to as "Dead Jap" )

The machine never flew again and was cannibalised right down for spare parts. :lol:

Hope the freezer makes it.

lemon essence or vanilla essence on a damp cloth wipe it out,then get a small jar with vingear in it and sit it within the fridge will adsorb smells..even ajax spray and wipe says kills 99.9% germs

I left the doors shut on my old fridge a few months back. Turned off. Went to check it the other day and its fur lined now.

Was hoping to use it as a fermenting fridge. Not sure whether I should risk it even if I clean it now.

So I feel your pain.

Should see one of my ferment fridges. Give it a bit of a cleen and as long as your fermenter is sealed I reckon you'll be fine

Spray with Lemon bleach, rinse and then bicarb.

I did it to clean out a freezer I bought off ebay to ferment in and after a spillage last week I will do it again (once it's finally empty of fermenters).

I didn't realise how bad spilled beer kept at fluctuating temperatures smelled after a couple of weeks.

Goomba

A bicarb paste liberally smeared.

In the Vietnam War a mate of mine had been in the food and catering division and one of their jobs was to transport supplies by helicopter to friendly or protected villages or whatever they were called. On one trip, Viet Cong missle went right through the open door at the side and out through and out of the matching door at the other side, collecting the groceries including a huge crock of fish sauce (what SWMBOs Chinese side of the family still refer to as "Dead Jap" )

The machine never flew again and was cannibalised right down for spare parts. :lol:

Hope the freezer makes it.
As long as you don't shoot a missile through the fridge you should be fine. :p

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have had a cloth soaked in vanilla essence and some bi-carb in there for a few hours and the improvement is amazing.

Back