Oops, I've Ended Up With Caramalt Rather Than Malt. What's The

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
So I went to the LHBS planning to buy 1.5kg of Amber DME, after chatting to the bloke I've walked out with 1.5kg of LME Caramalt Amber (Morgan's Master Malt Extract - Caramalt Amber). I'm planning to brew a real simple (just this lot of extract and a collection of hops) amber ale, how will this effect it?

(I also ended up with hops in teabags (15g each), and I plan to boil these, so hopefully that works too - I was hoping for loose hops.)

That caramalt extract is not made from pure caramalt. Using it will add a caramel/honey like sweetness to hour beer. It won't make it unpalatable.

That caramalt extract is not made from pure caramalt. Using it will add a caramel/honey like sweetness to hour beer. It won't make it unpalatable.

From memory it's 60% caramalt, 40% pale, so it will certainly add a fair bit of sweetness.

Cheers Ross

Oh, so the 'amber' bit is not due to any amber malt, just the look?

From memory it's 60% caramalt, 40% pale, so it will certainly add a fair bit of sweetness.

Cheers Ross

hmmm, so that made me go and see if they had a website to have a look at.

Well it turns out according to the website they have two varieties of LME:
Morgan's Unhopped; and
Morgan's Master Blend

For the 'Morgan's Master Blend Caramalt' it is indeed "60% Caramalt grain and 40% Pale Barley malt grain".

However, this can here that I have is: "Morgan's Master Malt Extract - Caramalt, Amber". And there's no mention of that (Morgan's Master Malt) on their site. :/

Wow, that is a lot of caramalt for one beer :eek:

I had always assumed it was a lot less so that one can is a good amount for a standard batch.

Oh, so the 'amber' bit is not due to any amber malt, just the look?

Short extract from BJCP guidelines:

"American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor,"

Looks like you are on the right track, what hop(s) are you using?
I might have a stab at one of these brews, sounds nice.

Thanks RobboMC, in that case sounds like it should be alright. :)

The plan as of purchasing my bits yesterday is:

1.5KG Morgan's Master Malt - Caramalt Amber
15g Fuggles @ 30mins
15g Willamette @ 20mins
15g Willamette @ 10mins
S-04 Yeast
Total ferment size: 10L

Nice an' simple and will be my first non-kit brew - and in my nice new lil 15L fermenter (to better allow for more brewing).

My next brew has been (half) planned for a few weeks now, and also represents my first partial:

1 tin masterblend caramalt amber
nkg pale malt (actual weight TBD once I figure out this gear SpillsMostOfIt gave me)
150g dark crystal
80g chocolate
fuggles to 20ish IBU
wyeast 1968 (much love 2 warmbeer for the slurry)

Just wish I could find the time to do it...

Latest posts

Back