One For The Mash Stirrers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How common is it in a combo mash/lauter tun though? I wouldn't imagine many would be constantly stirring on top of false bottoms, stirring in the mash tun and only racking in the lauter tun.
I think there would be some downfalls in constant stirring on top of a false bottom, it wouldn't be ideal anyway but proberly depend on what the false bottom actually is and how it is designed.
The stirring I gather would be one of the reasons for having a seperate vessel for step mashing etc.
Not really a issue for home but maybe a question of interest to some.

You're right of course - but most combo mash/lauter systems are isothermal in the first place. If you step mash... you have to stir, so you have to have a system that can deal with it. Most smaller breweries that step regularly would probably be using a combo mash/kettle and separate lauter tun - or perhaps infusion and just manhandling it with a paddle.

But I've certainly seen both commercial and home breweries designed to stir over the top of false bottoms - I tend to agree that its probably got some pitfalls you have to design for, but its definitely doable if you think you need it.

Back