One Foamy Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrkook

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have recently pulled all my brewing gear down from the garage and got back into it. I'm loving it. I have a few beers in kegs now and they are all pouring nicely except from one of my taps which is foaming like hell! Now I can pour all three kegs normally from one tap, and from a picnic tap I used just to experiment.
I have replaced the beer line twice, replaced the ball lock disconnect, washed the tap in boiling water but it's still doing it!!
I am using the same length beer line (2.5m, 4mm ID) serving at 12 PSI. I never had this problem before.

Any ideas?
Time for a new tap?

Cheers,

Hi Guys, I have recently pulled all my brewing gear down from the garage and got back into it. I'm loving it. I have a few beers in kegs now and they are all pouring nicely except from one of my taps which is foaming like hell! Now I can pour all three kegs normally from one tap, and from a picnic tap I used just to experiment.
I have replaced the beer line twice, replaced the ball lock disconnect, washed the tap in boiling water but it's still doing it!!
I am using the same length beer line (2.5m, 4mm ID) serving at 12 PSI. I never had this problem before.

Any ideas?
Time for a new tap?

Cheers,
No hops stuck in your liquid sidr popet? Can cause foaming...

Cheers mate - this is a very real possibility. Is there any way to check this while the keg is full? I was wondering if I had something stuck in my diptube but didn't know how to manage this with an almost full keg.

Cheers mate - this is a very real possibility. Is there any way to check this while the keg is full? I was wondering if I had something stuck in my diptube but didn't know how to manage this with an almost full keg.
One tip would be connect the gas line to the liquid side and burp the hop debris free of the liquid dip tube/poppet the connect her up and let her rip and see if its cleared. Oh you may wanna let it settle maybe after this because the co2 injection down the diptube will stir her up a bit;).

Reading your original post, it looks as though you have tried the keg on a different tap and does not foam, am I right? If so then hop matter in keg would not be the issue.

Have you tried different kegs on the foaming tap? Might be air being drawn into the tap as you pour, did you lube up all your seals?

What type of taps, flow control or standard?

If it isn't the keg (you checked) it isn't the disconnect or the line as these have both been replaced, it has to be the tap (or the shank that goes through the fridge if that isn't integral to the tap)!
Have you pulled the tap apart and cleaned the internals, lubed and reassemble.
What sort of tap is it, some of the low cost options are just roughly machined and poorly built. But if all the internals are clean and free from bits of crap, the O-Rings and seals are all intact - then it might be time for a new tap.
Mark

Thanks for all the posts guys. I have tried different kegs and they all foamed from the offending tap, and all pour normal from my other tap. They are cheap "brumby" style taps I purchased when first getting into kegging. I took it apart and cleaned every bit I could get to and that has solved the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions it's nice to be able to pour normal beer again!

Latest posts

Back