One Eye IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
Hi

I had a couple of Ballast point Big Eye stubbies with my partners son and really liked it.

Did a google for an idea on the hops and came up trumps on the Ballast point web site.

Here is what I plan to put down using extract. Was thinking of dry hopping the keg using a suspeneded tea ball tied on the dip tube about 1/3 the way down?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Joe

One Eye IPA (American IPA)
Original Gravity (OG): 1.067 (°P): 16.4

Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 7.09 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 65.8 (Average)
33.33% Dry Malt Extract - Amber
33.33% Dry Malt Extract - Light
22.22% Dextrose
11.11% Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat

1.1 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
1.1 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

I love Bigeye no comments on recipe but let us know how it turns out.

Yep, another Bigeye fan here! Best bang for buck IPA you can get IMO. Don't mind Tower 10 either for a well priced IPA from Dan's.

Don't tie the teaball to the dip tube, you won't get it out when your beer turns grassy.

For keg hopping I use a piece of swiss voile or similar, or get your wife's bra washing bag. Add a few weights in if you want the hops at the bottom, like stainless steel spoons etc., and tie together with unflavoured dental floss.
Just hang it all into the keg, suspended by the dental floss and pull out once you have enough hop aroma. I wouldn't keep it in there longer than 48 hours, 24 is usually sufficient.

Dental floss is just thin enough to not cause a gas leak, fishing line can often already be too thick.

Hi Florian

Great idea. I imagine if I haul the hop sack to above the beer level after 24/48 hrs that should do the trick. I wouldnt have to open the keg if i use the dental floss, just pull it up to the lid.

cheers

When I keg hop I use dental floss too after a tip from someone here. Fishing line doesn't seal. I tie it to one of the keg handles and have it hanging towards the top of the keg. After around 5 pints it is then out of the beer and I usually leave it in the keg until the keg is done. Have done this for the last 10 brews and have not had an issue with grassiness. I use mostly cascade and centennial for dry hopping but have done some columbus in the last few brews.

I bought a sixer of Bigeye this weekend. They use waaay too much crystal for my taste... if they toned it down would be nicer.

I had a One Eye IPA, Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA and Pintail Pale Ale on the weekend and was very impressed.

Good luck with the recipe I hope it turns out half as good!

looks the goods j-dunn

I pretty much get it a dans everytime i pop in

My hop sock I put 2-3 large marbles in to keep it submerged

nomally i fish it out with long bbq tongs (sterilised of course)

let us know how it turns out

When I'm in Dan's I always get a bottle of Big Eye and two new beers, it's a good benchmark for the other stuff I buy, and means I get to drink some more of it! :D

Now on brew 4 of the one eye. must say it is not too shabby. my beer critics, read beer guzzling mates, reckon its ok too!!.

It is quite sessionable and is always on tap.

Cheers!

Back